What's an Export Model?

Hi all,

My 1928 Hudson sedan has a black triangle on the radiator, yes definitely black and not brown. Picture below.
I found a link to a car medallions web site a long time ago, and the link said that this badge, emblem, or whatever you call it, represents an export model 'O' or 'S'. http://www.americanautoemblems.com/2018/11/hudson.html Well, I'm fixing the car up, and it's almost finished except for a few things. Only about 20 or so items to do, little things, like roof, seat, bumper, spare. all simple one or two syllable things. And I'd like to know what 'Export Model' means before I'm done. I don't see anything different about the car, but what do I know about the vagaries of the many different Hudsons built. Every one seems to have some little difference. Of course I'm adding my own when I restore it too, different colors, that's all. But was there something special about this 'Export Model', other than it didn't quite make it to the ship? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    This would be a car sent to another country I do not know about the  badge on your car being a  different color but I do know that on 1936 Hudson badges that cars that went to the UK had small letters USA in gold on them and these letters were not on the cars that were in the states the ones with USA in gold letters on the badge were export cars.

• JACK356
    JACK356 Member
    Mine made in Belgium with differences for the tax system of the time.Like the windows made in belgium; the shock absorbers with arms despite that it is 34; differences interesting

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Also export models often had older parts on them, just  to get rid of overstocked items.   for instance most Australian and N.Z. '35 Terraplanes had wire wheels in spite of no such item being listed for '35 models.  Early '28 models sometimes had '27 door handles etc. etc. 
  • JACK356
    JACK356 Member

Made in Belgium CAM   Anvers Belgium
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Geoff said:
    Also export models often had older parts on them, just  to get rid of overstocked items.   for instance most Australian and N.Z. '35 Terraplanes had wire wheels in spite of no such item being listed for '35 models.  Early '28 models sometimes had '27 door handles etc. etc. 
    The 34 and 35 cars assembled in England all had wire wheels and all had a sidemount.
    They had different interiors from the American cars, mainly in leather. The lighting associated electrics and headlight/sidelights were British too. I believe the other electrical parts were the same as the US cars.
    And, of course, they were right hand drive !
  • My 1928 Hudson has holes in the frame to mount a right had steering gear, and there are other provisions here and there for switching things out. Overall, It's so reassuring that my car was made from leftover parts. Then no one will know the difference if I replace other left over parts with used parts.

And then I can even make other changes, and if asked, I will just reply, "It's an export model, you know!"

Ha. I like it.

Just wait until my 'Export Model' has a new interior.....
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I realy love your way of thinking.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    My car is a 1934 LTS Challenger Series that Hudson built straight out of the parts bin. It has the same headlights as a 1934 Studebaker Dictator that weren't used on any other Hudson or Terraplane, as far as I'm aware.
    Although it's a US built Hudson, apart from the motor and instrument cluster, everything else is 1934 Terraplane - apart from those headlights.
    LTS cars are pretty rare and I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has one to compare specifications and equipment.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    My 1928 Hudson has holes in the frame to mount a right had steering gear, and there are other provisions here and there for switching things out. 
    AFAIK, for flexibility on the production line every Hudson through to 54 had the chassis rails/ sub frames stamped with all the holes necessary to mount either LHD or RHD components.