We now have a 12V hi torque starter for 48-54 standard trans Hudsons.

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited April 2021 in Parts & Pieces
 I have been working with IMI on this project for a while and now have a 12v hi torque starter
available for the 48-54 232-262-308 standard transmission equipped Hudsons.
I've been running one on the 308 I have on my engine stand and it has worked great.

Comments

• Kdancy
    edited April 2021
    Here is the one on my engine stand. This conversion uses a Denso starter.

• Great. We have two sources, now.
  • Is that nose custom made? How much for one?

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    If this works like the one for the hydramatic it is a winner.  I love mine.

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Some time ago I made an adapter plate and fitted one of the little Denso starters to a 35 H8. At the time I formed the conclusion (can't remember how or why) that it would also fit any manual transmission car up to 54.
    If I was correct, the reverse will also be true and this step-down starter will retro fit back into the 30s, it won't take too much to check that out.

• Kdancy
    edited April 2021
    50C8DAN said:
    If this works like the one for the hydramatic it is a winner.  I love mine.

I worked with the guy who makes the one for hydramatic application, several years ago to come up with one for the standard shift cars. It was a disaster.
    I had it on the same motor set up on a run stand. Unlike the automatic version, the Hudson standard shift version pulls the bendix back into the ring gear instead of pushing into the ring gear. The ring gear teeth are notched on the back side to enable the bendix to "pull" into the ring gear teeth. I sent the starter back to him as he could not come up with a workable solution.
     Jack and Chris at IMI had made me a hi torque unit for a Studebaker V8 I was working on  and in one of our conversations, Jack said he could come up with a solution so I sent him a 308 standard shift starter to use for measurements and worked with him giving measurements on the ring gear position in the bellhousing.
    IMI version has worked flawless so far.

• LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Does the pinon gear on the starter keep in contact with the flywheel and just free wheel around after starting?
  • bob ward
    The pinion disengages after the engine starts same as a traditional starter.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The spacing is different for pre-Step-down starters, by about half an inch.  I have a Hornet starter fitted to a 8 cylinder engine, and have to fit spacers between the  mounting plate and the starter.  If bolted straight in the collar on the back of the  starter bears against the ring gear and the pinion cannot  come forward enough.  
  • bob ward
    Thanks for that Geoff, good info.
  • Kdancy
     Ok, IMI wants me to handle the Hudson starter sales. All starters will be drop shipped directly from them so double shipping cost will be saved.
    245.00 plus shipping.
    message me if you want one.  I'll take check, cash or paypal.
     (the last Studebaker Delco starter that I had professionally rebuilt was over 350.00 for cost comparison)  
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Kerry, make sure that folks understand this is for 12V neg ground before they get too excited.  They are worth every penny if you have 12V!
  • Kdancy
    YES, 12v negative Ground !!
  • Kdancy
    Ken Ufheil brought up the question "will it work/fit in a lwb car without hitting the pittman arm". I know the swb cars steering box/pitman arm is further foward, but I see no way it will hit on a lwb car. So, in the mean time, I will try to find someone that can do a test fit on a lwb car.
  • Why is starter motor sensitive to positive or negative ground? also can you retain old ring gear?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Kerry, sent you an email.  
  • Kdancy
    Just got this note from Doug Seals concerning the starter for standard transmission equipped Hudson-

Kerry,

Just bolted on the new plate and mounted the starter and everything fits and works great! Smooth starting every time. I couldn’t be happier with how this turned out. Plenty of clearance to the pitman arm too. It’s so good to get the Hudson derivable again, I’m going to two car shows tomorrow!

Thanks again,

Doug