1936 Hudson/Terraplane gas tank needed

Rocket
Rocket Senior Contributor
Dose anybody out there have a 1936 Hudson/Terraplane gas tank even in bad shape they will let go of also would a 1937 Hudson/Terraplane tank fit in a 36 or are they different thanks.

Comments

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    If you still have your original tank, even as a rust-out, it'll probably work out cheaper to get a copy made rather than trying to restore another old tank.
    At least, that was my experience.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor

I believe that they are similar to the tank in my '39. I used an aftermarket tank and moved the neck. It fit perfect. do a search on the forum to see pictures of everything...

• Old Fogey UK
    In the UK people have used Ford Transit tanks that, apparently don't require much modification.
     I don't know which Transit tank has been used because I didn't use one - I had a stainless steel tank scratch built using my old tank as a pattern.
    Maybe other British Hudson Owners on the Forum can help out with this information ?

• Rocket
    My big problem is I do not even have a tank to copy I hope some one out there might have one.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Try Tanks inc. You might be able to get a universal tank and put it in the have many sizes
  • Rocket
    They have said they cannot get tanks because of the virus I called them first.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I have a tank but I’m holding on to it in case I find someone who wants to make repo’s.

• BigSky - so take numerous pictures and measurements and send them to him. 
  • 7XPacemaker
    Rocket said:

That stinks. That was where I was able to get the one for my '39.. that kills my idea..
  • 7XPacemaker
    edited April 2021
    Rocket said:

That stinks. That was where I was able to get the one for my '39.. that kills my idea..

Wait- It says on their website that they are out of stock until May! I used the UT-N series tank. There is a stainless version in their bargain room online right now for $385.
  • For a replacement for the tank on my 36 Terraplane I used a tank made for a Thunderbird. It was very close in size in size and shape. This was about five years ago. Used the stock straps. The filler neck comes out in the same corner. I cut the filler neck off the new tank and the old tank and with two 45's, one rubber,I was able to connect the old filler neck through the fender. Get a new sender from Paul Schuster and you are good to go. I recall the Tbird tank as being relatively cost effective and there was a thread about it on this forum.
  • Rocket
    Big Sky is the tank you have a 1936 Hudson or Terraplane gas tank the reason I asked is I may have found a place right here in the good old USA that can repo these tanks here and not in China if they can we will see how many people out there are looking for a 36 tank I allready know of 5or 6 peaple who will buy them if we can get a good price to buy them BUT we will still need a tank as a pattern we hope to have an answer by the end of next week if they can make them( Just so everybody knows this is not my first venture in repo parts some time ago my friend and I went in together and made 1936 Hudson and Terraplane glove box springs and now I am in the middle of getting another run of rear end gears made like the ones Ivan was selling so now is a good time to do 36 tanks if there is enough intrest eather way I will get some done for myself Tom.)
  • Rocket
    Hi everybody I have an update and also would like to know if anyone has an inter change book who can answer this quiestion are the 1936 Hudson/Terraplane gas tanks the same tank as the 1937 Hudson/Terraplane except for the filler neck or are they totaly different tanks now for what I have found out
    (1) I still need a tank to copy
    (2) After talking with the company who may be able to make new tanks. They said they would need a tank they can copy and they said at this stage of the project they felt that I should reach out and see how many people would be interested in buying new tanks at this point you would need to use your old filler neck.The reason they want me to reach out to people who may want a new tank is because steel prices have gone way up and the more tanks we order the lower the cost will be.
    (3) I am going through with this project because I need a tank for myself and also for three freinds of mine that have 36s that want new tanks so if any one else is interested in a new tank for your 36 let me know and I will keep you posted it is time to get on the list so we all can get a good price on a new tank.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I had to use my original filler neck when my new tank was made.
  • allan
    allan Member
    All the 36 tanks will be the same; the necks will be unique to the particular body style.  The same goes for the other non step down cars.  I have an early tank but doubt it's for a 36.  I held onto it in case I ever needed a new tank for my 38.  Having said that, you'll need tank measurements for the 36 because there were a lot of significant body changes between 36 and 37 that may have influenced the tank size. 37 tanks (except for the neck) will fit all the way through 47.

Someone should be able to measure their 36 tank for you!
  • Tom,  please add me to the list.  I have no idea what the ultimate cost would be, but if it's not too much, I would like to replace the quite rusty tank on my 36.
  • allan
    allan Member
    here is a picture of the tank on the 36 sedan for sale on EBAY right now.  The neck is on the top - same as the other 30's cars.  if the fuel capacity is the same, I'm sure Hudson used the same tank right on through.  just trying to help here.
  • BigSky
    edited April 2021
    Rocket, I have 37 Hudson’s not terraplane’s.  However, I’m not sure what the tank was from terraplane or Hudson or if those are the same.  I have one of my 37’s tanks out currently so I will take some photos of the two tanks next to each other & get some measurements.  I’ll also try to find out on the old rusty tank if it was from a terraplane or Hudson. 

Speaking of gas tanks, I’m currently under the 54 Hornet working on pulling it’s tank.  Have a leak at the filler neck to body & it needs a really good rust cleaning as my new fuel filter was full of crap after one drive.  

• Rocket
    BigSky the 1936 Hudsom and Terraplane are the same tanks and 1936 tanks like every thing else about these cars is a one year only  tank.
  • BigSky
    It wouldn’t surprise me that the tanks would be different, a lot if it most things from 36 to 37.  I can still shoot a couple pictures & tank dimensions.  If the main difference was the neck, there maybe a benefit to making a tank with a neck stub (of some type) that different necks can be attached by a rubber connector hose.  That would possibly open up the tank to a larger number of years Hudson’s it could work on.
  • BigSky
    Here is a thread from last year where 7X installed a universal tank in his 39 Hudson. 

• Rocket
    BigSky thanks I takled to a friend of mine who told me he found an after market tank that should work just fine in a 36 he is going to let me know how it goes puting it in his 36 I will keeb you posted.
  • BigSky
    I wonder what the tank is from?  Hopefully he has good success installing it & you can provide feedback on it.  

Here is some measurements from my 37’s tank:
    Size: 20&3/4” x 30&5/8” x 7”; pickup & fuel sending unit attach on front side of top 45 degree edge but below the top horizontal plane.  Neck comes out on the left edge & rear side About 6.5” from rear edge.  Looks like a 2” od filler neck & 2.5” od fill end for cap.  
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I use a university  U 4 tank for my 40 pick up i took the filler neck to a muffler shop told they the angle 
    I needed they welded it to filler neck
  • Tom I would be interested in a tank for my 36T if it ends up being reasonable priced. Mine is rusty and has some pin holes in it. I was thinking of taking it to Tank Renu which from what I gather is around $300-$400 range.
  • Rocket
    dantheman I am working on this project I hope to have a tank to the company that will tell us if they can make them and if they can I will post the time frame and how much a tank will cost. I am not in this to make any money I am doing this because I know there are no good tanks out there from 1936 and I want one for my self and if other 36 guys want one the more we order the cheeper the cost per tank. Just hang in there this is going to take a few weeks I will post here as soon as I here something. WHAT EVER YOU DO NOT  WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TANK RENU. Like they say you get what you pay for from them.
  • BigSky
    Tank Renu will fail like all the others & their lifetime warranty isn’t even worth the paper it’s written on.  These are pictures of my Tank Renu on my 37 & it’s already failing.  Worse thing is the company, ie the owner the the whole thing, didn’t care in the least & would not do a thing for me.  And yes, I bought it & have my receipt as well, but it didn’t matter to them!   DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TANK RENU!

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Looks like it wasn't  cleaned properly   before  it was sealed 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Im am making two tanks for 1920-26H, and also two tanks for 1937T. Im halfway. An interesting little project. Im lucky as a neighbor has a guillo and a folder. New is a better option for me. Hopefully people have an old filler pipe they can use, but if not, no problem. Silcon hoses can be used as joiners. If anyone goes 12V and use new senders the threaded holes may be different. 
  • Guess I need to re-think the Tank Renu option!  Has anyone had any experience or heard anything about Rock Valley Auto parts & tank  that advertise in Hemmings? They say they duplicate original tanks in stainless.