1954 Hornet Shocks

I’m looking for information / suggestions on what shocks to use on the 54 Hornet.
I’ve seen the recommendations on Ken’s website & have been doing some more research on replacement options.  I’ve never been a Gabriel guy & used Monroe shocks since 1980, except on my Corvette.  However I haven’t been thrilled with Monroe the past few times I’ve used them.
My goal is to improve the car’s handling as far as possible to performance handling as possible.  Let me know what you used & your experiences with the shocks. 

Comments

• you like Bilstein shocks? 24-002837
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Yes, have Bilstein’s on my vette & pickup.  Did you find a rear shock from Bilstein or what did you use?
  • I'm using Gabriels. I've never had any issues with them. I just googled a cross reference to get the Bilstein part number.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I’m not against Gabriel shocks, just never used them & don’t know much about them.  What are you running on the front of yours, 54Coupe?
  • For a stock front end, the Gabriel number is 28026. Same shock, 1940-1954. My 54 has a Jaguar front end under it. 
  • Hagens has them listed, looks pricey but chances are good that they will fit. I know I'm tired of returning stuff to retail shops for incorrect listings.
  • hi - i'm looking for info from step-down owner with bilstein shocks f & r (and hopefully driving experience) - i have been very happy with bilstein's on several other classic cars 

- part #24-002837 has been listed for fronts, but no rear #'s - based on what i can figure out, #24-013338 may work for the rears?

- thanks 
  • i contacted bilstein for some specs on the shocks above - for the fronts #24-002837, collapsed length 8.27", extended length 12.97", for the rears #24-013338, collapsed length 13.33", extended length 21.18"

relevant monroe shocks as follows - front #5751, collapsed length 8.5", extended length 13.44" - rears #31094, collapsed length 14.32", extended length 23.125"

hope this helps
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    A1 shocks in Colorado can match you with the correct shocks. I have their HD gas shocks on two of my Hudsons, and they really made a positive difference in the handling.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    I purchased gas over oil shocks for my 35T from A-1 / Shocks2Springs.  The guy I spoke with was very knowledgeable. Told him I'd like the 2" diameter units they had on the website.  He told me they would hit the frame and the 1 7/8" units where the largest that would clear. He knew the correct ends for the shocks.  Upon installation they cleared by about 1/8". That was about 10 years ago.  I've never had a problem with them.  Just plain Jane black painted units.
  • The single best upgrade you can do for handling is getting a bigger sway bar from Dale Cooper. Night and day difference on my '53 Hornet.
  •  HD anti-sway bars vs original; twice the area:

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I have them on all my Hudsons, the Best improvement to handling that I have done to my cars.
  • I have a bunch of NOS original Hudson sway bars. In my parts room.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey 29,
    Would it be possible to adapt one of your sway bars to a 36T?
    Thanks,
    Jeff