install and remove hood support springs

How do you install and/or remove the spiral springs at the elbow joint of the hood supports on a 48 - 54 Stepdown? 

Comments

• My first question is why would you need to remove those springs on the support hood springs?
    I would leave them in place on my car, cloan them, sand blast them, paint them. 
  • dalma
    dalma Member
    Thanks blondwookie. Reason to remove? I wanted to de-rust and paint the arms without the spring. But I've worked it out and it's simple. Simply detach the entire support (arms and spring) at hood and inner fender ends. Now bend the whole thing at its pivot (where the spring is). The spring is now de-tensioned and should easily tap out of its slot if it doesn't fall out by itself (as mine did). Spring and arms are now separated. Re-assembly and re-installation are simply the reverse of the above.
  • To remove and install hood springs on most any car. Open the hood which stretches out the spring. Insert large washers between the coils of the spring. Close the hood and the spring will drop off. To install put the spring in place and lift up on the hood until the washers fall out.