Window glass

Hi I need a new back window for my 51’ Hornet sedan. Please let me know if you have one. Thanks.

Comments

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Tough to ship. Where are you located?

• Oregon
  • Portland area
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    snowshoe90aolcom Expert Adviser
    I have the back glass from a ' 51 Commodore sedan, don't know if it's the same though. I'm in Minnesota.
  • The glass is the same for 51 Hornets and Commodores, but differs between club coupe and sedan, I was told, by a glass company. It’s not much difference but enough that they don’t interchange. 
  • I stand corrected. 
  • Actually, his listing is still deceiving. Hopefully we can get clarification because I have 51 club coupes and sedans
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    $490 shipped from Bob's......mine will be cheaper, as in FREE, you figure out how to get it! As a bonus, it even has the old Hudson club sticker on it!
  • Snowshoe, if Ragtop doesn’t want that glass I’ll take it. Just let me know
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    OK, I'll wait for a response from ragtop. No hurry, the window has been in the loft of my garage for about seven years. I also have the stainless trim that goes around the window, that I might want a few bucks for. The car was a '51 Commodore 6 sedan. I'll work with whoever wants the glass as to shipping. That's one item I've never shipped. 
  • Ok sounds good, I’ll take the trim as well. When it comes time, maybe find some heavy cardboard and styrofoam to package it with and see about sending through Fastenal. I live in Lubbock, TX. No hurry here either. 
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    By "work with" I mean me taking it to somebody who can properly pack and ship a curved glass section. If I packed it, it would be broke before it went 10 miles. The trim pieces I can just tape to the glass following the contour of the glass. I'll check with some of our local glass companies today to see how they get theirs shipped... I'm still waiting for Ragtop to answer.
  • Sure no problem at all. They’re fairly stout. I have one from my rolled over coupe, the glass popped out and landed in the grass during the crash, didn’t hurt it all, lol. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2021
    Bob's Auto Glass is in Oregon, same state as Ragtop61, apparently. If close enough, then no crating or shipping costs, I would assume.  (Of course, free glass is even better!)
    Bob's Classic Auto Glass
    21170 Hwy 36, Blachly, OR 97412
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    I've been checking what needs to be done for shipping curved glass. The packing is pretty specific, ie , a small crate with lots of cardboard, styrofoam etc. I went to an auto glass shop but they don't keep the crates so maybe I'll try an auto body shop. Ideally, if I could pick up a used crate it would help. I don't know how long to wait for a response from ragtop but I was told there is one shipper that will not ship from the eastern zone, which I'm in, to the western zone. Stay tuned....
  • ok buddy, thank you 
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    cheyenne, looks like there will be no response from ragtop so the glass is yours. Fastenal is the company that will not ship from the eastern zone to the western zone but I think your in the same zone as I. I will have access to a window crate...a buddy is having one for a '56 Caddy shipped from California....by next week. He said he'll save all the packing and give it to me. He doesn't remember who the shipper is so I'll find that out when his glass arrives. Looks like I'll be into it more than I wanted but that's the way it goes sometimes. As to the trim pieces, they're two separate pieces that have small clips that tie the two pieces together, one on top, the other on the bottom, and wouldn't you know it, I can't find those small clips. I'll keep looking though.
  • LOL sounds good. Let me know what the cost of shipping will be. I appreciate you buddy
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    Found the clips... in my Cadillac stuff. I'll PM you when I get the crate about costs etc.
  • Awesome that’ll work
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    cheyenne, still waiting to hear about the crate. Don't know when I'll get it, maybe the end of the week? Sorry to keep you hanging....
  • Your fine, sir. I’m in no hurry
  • Sent you a PM, cheyenne.