Auto to Manual Trans Swap

I would like to bolt a manual transmission  to an engine that originally came with a Hydra Matic, are the crankshaft ends the same? Will I just need a pilot bearing and flywheel? It's a 51 262.

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    The flywheels will have to swap as well as some modification to the tranny cross member. The hydramatic cross member will not be of use on a 3 speed tranny unless some modification is done. Crankshafts are the same. Starting in 1951 all crankshafts have a pilot hole drilled at the base end of the crankshaft so that it will accomodate a 3 speed tranny or a hydramatic tranny.
  • The manual transmission crossmember is welded in to the car, so yiu will have some fab work to make it fit, just an FYI
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited April 2021
    The transmission page of my website details the reverse of what you are attempting. The article may point out the differences you will need to be aware of...
  • Thanks for the info, engine/trans will be installed in a manual transmission car, so I was just concerned with any issues with the engine to trans itself.