232 Aluminum Head ?

I believe this would give highest compression on a 308,anybody got one you would part with ? 
    Let me know.....Thanks  !!

Comments

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    BEWARE of spark knock!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited April 2021
    If you are looking for increased compression stick with a 262 head if you want to use pump gas.  232 is going to need some higher octane.  Don't be surprised if you don't get blown head gaskets.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I like where your going with your question Martin!  However I would definitely listen to these two guy’s advice.  They are ones who have & still do modify the 308’s, so they would know.  I imagine you could mill the 262 head some to bump compression a bit more from stock.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Back in 50s NASCAR days Hudsons did run 232 heads on the 308, but you need to remember those were the days of ethyl fuel!  High octane and leaded gas and they did not care about deposits and the like since it was racing.
  • Also remember, cars running in NASCAR had relieved blocks, which would lower the compression with a 308 head, so part of the gain in compression was just to recover that. Even with some block relief, you will find that after six months to a year (depending how much you drive it) there will start to get some carbon buildup, and it will start to ping a little bit. you will retard the timing a little bit, and all will be good with the world. in a couple of months you will do it again. Now, you've lost the benefit of the higher compression you had. Unless you are racing it, you will be much happier with a 262 head.... For a street car my number one choice would be a 262 head. Number two would be a 308. Last would be 232. I've been down this slippery slope, and I had one of each of these heads to choose from. My car now has the 262 head, (8 years) and I'm very happy with it. 
  • Ok,ok,....my bad. i should have stated its for a full race 308 on E85...no street use.
       Let me know if u got a 232 in iron or aluminum.....thanks..
  • I will look and see if I have an extra 232 head. I am keeping one for my racecar, but I might have two... Educate me on the performance advantages of E85 please.
  • Martin, I just did a little research (google is my friend). I did not know about racing E85, and thought that you were referring to what is sold at the corner gas station.... Nope!. I might have tried this in my race car before I modified my Clifford head, but what I did lets me run 91 octane pump gas with a 65cc combustion chamber in the head, and 11.25:1 compression.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    E85 is not very fond of aluminum. I know that it is the combustion chamber, but still...E85 is much cheaper than race fuel but takes a lot more fuel to equal that of performance gas. It does however, reduce spark knock...
  • 54 Coupe,i am talking pump gas E85.....it will be around 105...112 octane.I run it in my 521 inch Big Block Ford...12.5 -1 compression....runs very cool...cheap when u can find it,i also run VP X-85 which is available at my track,but several guys go up to Alabama and sell it from a drum for $4 a gal.....110 VP gas is $10 a gallon
      You can buy an inexpensive tester to chk % of ethanol at ur local pump....the last batch i bought was 78 %....no biggie...but u can let ur station owner know....sometimes it checks @ 90%....not sure why....it will produce more torque than straight gas....but cost is what i like....need pump here in Ft.Walton Beach....maybe one day....i have never used it in a flex fuel street driver.
  • Ethanol will be 25% increase in consumption while methanol is 50 % increase over gasoline,but cheap.....e85 is tied to corn price,i assume all usa produced
         Mitey ,mitey pleazin,my pappys corn squeezin....
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited April 2021
    Personally, I dont think there's real good quality control on E85 bcallyecause Flex Fuel vehicle On Board computer automatically compensate's the difference a is probably why Station to Station percentage varies. NASCAR E/Fuel is the only accurate fuel.... E85 requires richening Jets too, and good E85 can be purchased in Drums from local race Fuel Suppliers.

Regarding NASCAR 232 Head, They had a sharp edge modified in the combustion chamber to prevent pre ignition. I seen pictures from Rudy Bennett in El Paso Tx showing the difference in both 232 Heads some time ago.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The head comparison data and pictures are placed on my website on the engine page. 
    https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html
  • Thats a lot of good info Glowplug....Thanks. !!!