1934 8 cylinder Over drive set up

freddo
freddo Member
edited April 2021 in Hudson 8
Is it possible to put a latter gearbox with overdive onto a 1934 8 cylinder I see the 6 cylinder 1946 cars some had overdrive  do they fit the 1934 engine   and if they do how hard is it to find a gearbox and overdrive

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Only the 1940 overdrive will fit the 1934 easily, but they are extremely hard to find.  My suggestion is to either purchase one of the new rear end gears which are going to be made, or to replace the 1934 rear axle (and housing) with a more modern one, which has a better gear ratio.  These would include certain MoPar and Ford rear axles from the 1960's and 70's.  Of course, either the gears, or the entire axles, could be replaced with the original ones, in the future, if you wished to return the car to its original state.
  • Jon B said:
    Only the 1940 overdrive will fit the 1934 easily, but they are extremely hard to find.  My suggestion is to either purchase one of the new rear end gears which are going to be made, or to replace the 1934 rear axle (and housing) with a more modern one, which has a better gear ratio.  These would include certain MoPar and Ford rear axles from the 1960's and 70's.  Of course, either the gears, or the entire axles, could be replaced with the original ones, in the future, if you wished to return the car to its original state.
    I like the idea of a over drive the latter gearboxs including overdrive  do not bolt straight on I take it ?  can they be fitted with a adaptor plate I do have a CNC lathe and Milling machine so could make a adaptor plate if that is all that is required other wise a I guess a diff is the way to go 

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The later boxes are too bulky, they won't fit into the chassis they collide with the X frame. Been there tried that, it isn't going to work.
    I don't know if anyone has looked at the possibility of rejigging one of the later boxes into the 1940 configuration.
  • bob ward said:
    The later boxes are too bulky, they won't fit into the chassis they collide with the X frame. Been there tried that, it isn't going to work.
    I don't know if anyone has looked at the possibility of rejigging one of the later boxes into the 1940 configuration.
    Thanks I had a look and the X frame is pretty tight already  it could fit a little longer box in but not much longer  I had thought a 4 speed auto that has over drive in top but there is not enough room for that either 
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    freddo, it seems you have enough gear to tackle this project but be warned there are many many hours in it. I'm happy to talk you though it. 
    This is an H8 with a Toyota overdrive 5 speed in a 35 chassis, the gearbox only just fits.
    The wet clutch - flywheel, pressure plate and clutch plate - is retained and works off the original pedal. The bell housing is home made.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That's an impressive bit of engineering, Bob.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    edited April 2021
    Bob, That is awesome! I love the ingenuity of your setup!
  • That looks the like the way to go though the old 8 cylinder in mine does not even need 3 gears once I hit top it can almost go any where  in top  they are a great old engine 
    What model toyota gear box is that ?  I see you have a modern reduction type starter motor as well