When or which Hudson model had the first automatic wipers and which had the first interior heater?

Someone out there must have the answer.  My 1923 has a single manual wiper blade and no
interior heater.  Does anyone know when Hudson adopted the upgrades?
Robert

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    When you say "Automatic" do you mean vacuum or electric operated.  I believe around 1924 vacuum were universally used, and electric in English cars from  the mid thirties..  
  • My 25 has a heater but I suspect it is a aftermarket accessory 

it works well 
    but make sure you don’t  have any exhaust leaks 
  • I was reading 1937 dealer letters and hudson started selling heaters as standard $14.95 fitted and deluxe at $17.95 fitted. They were optional extras and could be installed for cars 1935 and 1936. The dealer letter also states 1937 dash were fitted with removal air vents for the fitting of defrost outlets. 1935 and 1936 were the years for the development of heaters as extras like radios etc. If you look on the Internet GM made heaters standard items sold with the car from 1962. Doubt hudson ever built cars with heaters... Dealers would install them prior to being sold if wanted. 
  • Those are cool photos. I remember my grandfather talking about those, but I've never seen a good picture before. According to him, they didn't work for crap and always leaked fumes.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    That arrangement would make me very nervous. They use them in light aircraft, but those have SS exhaust and are regularly inspected.  Most owners have carbon monoxide detectors in the cockpit.

interesting none the less.

regards, Tom
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I have a 1937 Hudson-branded heater with a detachable demister hose but I've never gotten around to installing it in my car.
  • 1946 Hudson and later had factory installed heaters. I don’t know about earlier models, but I would think it started in the mid thirties. I have a 39 with a Hudson heater in it.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    My ‘20 Super Six 4-passenger coupe had a floor mounted heater that had part of the exhaust routed through it to heat the cast plate on the bottom.  These were standard in the closed Hudsons of that era, I believe. My friend Lee Anderson refers to them as the “Fuehrer’s Final Solution” 
  • In the Hudson Master Chassis Group parts Book 1930-1939 It shows heaters being offered as Heater Kits  34-35 Hud-Terraplane .
    Just for interest It shows Radio Kits offered in 1933 Terraplane KU-KT Models.
    Ivan L.