Hudson and Terraplane fender lights

Rocket
Rocket Senior Contributor
Could some one help me out with this I have rebuilt my 1936 Terraplane small fender lights they turned out great and they work great but upon reading the post about cleaning the reflectors some one was talking about a cork gaskit that goes between the reflector and the glass lens something to do with the silver plating I did not get mine silver plated I got them chrome plated I also just found out that mine had a felt washer between the reflector and glass lens at some point  before I got them ( I made them up from a bunch of parts that I bought ) can someone tell me what this felt washer is for and do I need it in my lights at all thanks.

Comments

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    its to cushion the glass against the metal i think.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I was the one who mentioned the cork gasket for the headlights.  I didn't know that the fender lights had reflectors.  Silver plating reflectors gives a much brighter light, but reflectivity is less important in a fender lamp because -- unlike a headlight reflector -- you are not depending on the fender lamps to light up the road ahead.

As to the felt washer in the fender lights, I don't know what they were for.  Maybe to cushion the glass lens against the metal housing, or to seal out the rain and dust as well.

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    Thanks Jon B I guess I will try to find someone who can punch these out of felt for me Tom.