remanufactured Differential Gears

1235»

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Ivan's 6 bolt CWP installed in the pumpkin awaiting fitting to the axle which happened straight after the photo was taken. The axle is installed in the car, so far the gears have only had a sedate run around the property they are yet to be used on the road but there are no funny noises.
    I've emailed a full data copy of the photo.

• Bob, thanks so much!!  That's a perfect shot!
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Gene, or is it a possibility that, unbeknownst to you, your car had an 8 bolt carrier  (the Zaremba sets are for 6 bolt carriers).
    hasktavern1, Ivan has talked with the guy putting the gears together and came to the agreement that part of the ring gear needed some lathe work to make it fit properly. Just another step in the process. I will post more when the job is complete.
  • Gene, thank you, that is useful information!  The CNC manufacturer in the present project will be looking closely at all gears, from the factory ones to previously remanufactured runs, and we can hopefully be the beneficiaries of the pioneers who stepped up to coordinate those runs.   (Thank you Ivan and Mr. McDonald of the Railton Club!) .  
  • My dumb question of the day:  for Bob, Geoff or anyone else who knows more than me, which is probably most users of this forum :) , are the gears we are talking about (34-47), the hypoid type or non-hypoid?  And please explain the difference, keeping it simple....
  • bob ward
    AFAIK these are spiral bevel gears, the axis of the pinion and CW intersect. When the axis of the pinion drops below that of the CW as is seen in most modern diffs they become hypoid bevel gears. 
  • Bob, thank you and good to know....in talking with the manufacturer today, this came up, and my understanding is that it will be a little 'less involved', computer programming-wise, to set up the design for non-hypoids.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, definitely e-mail Sam Jackson and ask what's the best way to write up your project.  Possibly he'll suggest a news-type article, or maybe one of the regular WTN columnists is looking for an interesting subject for his column.  And, do include photos of the gears themselves, to catch peoples' eyes.  And give the article a snappy title that will grab people: "New high-speed rear end gears scheduled for production" or "Repro gears will offer pre-war owners higher speeds."  Or something like that.  Keep it short and sweet.  "Just the facts, ma'am."  There are plenty of pre-war car owners who wish they could get a bit more speed out of their cars, and that's your market.
  • Thanks Jon...and Glowplug for all the write-up ideas.  In further discussing this with the manufacturer yesterday, he said that since he hasn't received all the gears yet and hasn't started on the computer programming, or worked out exact prices, he'd rather not be part of an article just yet.  But we agreed he definitely should be, because the plan going forward, is that he, not us, will be the contact for the project.  The article can wait for the the July-August issue, because by then any hitches will have been worked out, and all questions as to pricing, etc. will be answerable.  So, what we can do for the May-June issue, is put something in the "Reproduction Parts" section, which depending on the exact manufacturing set-up timing, may still help to gather in a few more first run customers.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    bob ward said:
    Ivan's 6 bolt CWP installed in the pumpkin awaiting fitting to the axle which happened straight after the photo was taken. The axle is installed in the car, so far the gears have only had a sedate run around the property they are yet to be used on the road but there are no funny noises.
    I've emailed a full data copy of the photo.

Looks great Bob. Did you put in new bearings, and what year car does this go to.?
    I got a call Friday that mine is ready to go, I'll keep you posted.
  • bob ward
    For peace of mind - expensive gears and all that - it got new bearings which weren't cheap. Its in a 35 H8.
  • These rear end gears for all Hudson cars or is it for specific years? I have a 48 Hudson rear end in my car with 4-11 gears
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You might want to consider using Hydramatic-ratio rearend gears from a slightly later Hudson.  Overdrive even better, gets you highway gearing with the flexibility of kickdown to 3rd gear when passing.
  • I have a 2lever 3speed transmission with an overdrive
  • These rear end gears for all Hudson cars or is it for specific years? I have a 48 Hudson rear end in my car with 4-11 gears
    Drat!  You missed this project by one year, as it is for 34-47 vehicles  (the pinion/crown gears changed in 1948).   
  • Hi is this project going ahead I have a 1934 but just fitted a latter 8 bolt type diff and would definitely be interested in a 3.55 gear set for it 
    Drat!  You missed this project by one year, as it is for 34-47 vehicles  (the pinion/crown gears changed in 1948).   
    I have a crown wheel and pinion  I think 1952   ratio 3.45 I can send some pic if you are interested   you would need to check if it is the one you want 

• Thanks BigSky for another good testimonial on taller gears!

PROJECT UPDATE:  Great news!!  
    We are at 10 customers for the gear sets, assuming those who have come on board 'stay on board' :) .  It's important for us to remain committed, as it could make or break the project.  Tom Lynch is working with the CNC gear manufacturer to see how close we can stay to the 1300.00 per set mark, if the order ends up being closer to 10 sets versus the original quote for 15 sets.  Once the manufacturer receives all of the 6 and 8 bolt example gears and carriers, he will do some final figuring, and based on how many retooling factors are involved between 6 and 8 bolt gear sets, he may be able to keep the cost at or close to the original quote.  

I will be contacting all of the 'customers' over the next week for final commitment.  In about 2 weeks, assuming all is still a go,  the next step will be arranging to collect the deposits (1000.00).  The manufacturer will set up an escrow account, taking the burden off of any of us club members,  Per Tom, if and when the 'final deal is made', we customers will then be placed in direct communication with the manufacturer....and ultimately the new gears will be shipped directly from the manufacturer to us.  

There is still time....any more takers?  I, for one, can't wait to install my new gears.  Tom feels the same, and when we were talking today, he said "it will be nice to keep up with traffic without worrying about throwing a rod".   :smile:

Questions, please ask!  Suggestions, please suggest!  Thank you!
    Hi is this project going ahead I have a 1934 but just fitted a latter 8 bolt type diff and would definitely be interested in a 3.55 gear set for it 
  • Yes, it certainly is going ahead!  Please send me a PM with your contact information (email preferred) and you will be added to the list for project information and updates.
  • bob ward
    Are there updates on this project? A friend has enquired about getting a set if it’s not too late. 
  • It's not too late.  The project is still going, but with some delays along the way.  We have been providing updates via email to all project participants, so have him send me his email address via PM.