Stewart vacuum canister

I have a 1930 Willys and the canister needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Spoke to one man in New York who won't rebuild because it has a 4 screw top and they have a strong ability to fail again compared to a 8 screw top. Can anyone lead me in a direction to find a vacuum canister? 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    This is nonsense.  The four screw type are more  reliable than the older die-cast top versions.   Check that the float is not cracked, and that the bottom flapper is in good condition.   These are the main  components that fail.
  • I agree with Geoff,  make sure the float needles move freely, the tension spring is not damaged.  The biggest problem seems to be getting the correct vacuum to the tank and the seal/ gasket on the top cover.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    If the exist holes are damaged you may find you can tap them using larger diam taps. I have a Stewart and I found there were 2 taps slightly larger in diam that all had the same TPI.
  • Was there ever a vacuum canister on a step down 48 to 56 cars?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The 1954 Hudsons use a sheet metal vacuum storage tank used with the treadle vacuum brake system.   The tank is affixed to the right fender well cover top near the firewall.