glue

what type of  glue did  hudson used on there cork clutches??

Comments

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    No glue,  Corks inserted in hole, smaller than the diameter of the cork then heated compressed cut to correct thickness.  Quite a process. Let the pro's do it for you. 
  • This is what the corks look like pressed in disc before being trimmed.
    Ivan L.

• that is not the same as mine,I have a 1948 super six, my clutch disk does not have holes in it ?
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    You sure you have a Hudson?  
  • If yours isn't like this, then someone changed it.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    post a pic of yours
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Has anyone tried to recork a clutch themselves?  Anyone successful at it?
  • It will not let me post a photo, from my phone?
  • I have done a couple of 9'' discs.
    I had to make a few basic tools which any one can make which I will describe and take a few photos in the next day or so.

Ivan L.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Which year Hudson do you have?

• Here is how I did some discs.
    First clean the disc as per  photo, make sure no cracks ,broken springs and all rivets are tight. See 4th photo
    You can make the insert tube from a piece of pipe 1/2" inside Dia, and 1 1/2"-2"long pipe.( the holes in the disc are 1/2"Dia) Slightly taper the inside with a round file. 
     I made the Ram from a 1/2" bolt. See Cork Insert Tube Sketch and 2nd photo.
    As for the Cutting Jig I used a piece of scrap Aluminum but you could use wood or whatever. See 3rd photo and Cork Cutting Gauge Sketch.
    For corks you need virgin corks not used or composite cork and cut in segments about 1/2" long. See 3rd photo.
    Boil corks in water till soft and set up as per Cork Insert Tube sketch and 2nd photo.
    I used a drill press to press in the corks which made it easy after I was set up. 
    After the corks are dry I used 1/8" finish nails pushed in between the corks and cut smooth with a utility knife, See 5th photo 
    That is how I did my clutch disc. 
    I hope this takes the mystery out of clutch rebuilding.

I am working on a 1939 92series Brougham convert and am about 1/2 way thru.

Ivan L. 
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Very clever work KEL.

To the OP, what variety of Hudson do you have? 1955 models and later with manual transmission had conventional dry clutches, as do the all the Jets.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited March 2021
    Ivan thank you for sharing your method of repairing Hudson cork clutches!  Always need folks to share talents so those who can will carry on these unique repairs. ?

BTW I captured your text and pictures and posted them to my website on the clutch page. ?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There is one  stage missing.  After dry trimming to 1/8", the corks must be compressed to 1/16" protruding each side.  I use an old flywheel and pressure plate. with a angle-steel  fixture, and a long threaded shaft.    Dip  disc in clutch fluid,  place in the press,  heat up either in an oven or with gas torch, and  tighten down and check thickness with a right-angle .065" wire gauge.  Leave for at least two days.  It is essential that corks are 100% dry before doing this, as if there is any moisture  in them they will swell up again.
  • Geoff
    Thanks for helping me out.
    Your final instructions does finish the procedure off.

Ivan L.
  • Terry
    Terry Member
    great instruction.Thank you