Option if you want to use Weber 2 stage 2bbl carbs on Twin H manifold

Comments

• It would be interesting to see how a 308 performs with those 2 stage carbs... 
  • These Weber progressive two barrels come in two sizes, 32/36, and 38/38. These numbers are the size if the bores of the base in millimetres. ( 32mm=1.26" ...36mm=1.41" ...and 38mm=1.49"). I think that a Hornet engine with any performance modifications, (or if future modifications are planned), would benefit most from the larger 38/38 carb. The Weber website has a lot of good info that should be helpful to anyone making the switch. This will likely be something I try in the future with one of the two or three carb ram intakes I have for my race car. If anyone else tries one of these, please share your experience with us here.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited March 2021
    The 32/36 is progressive the 38/38 is not.  They each need to be tuned up a bit for optimal performance.  

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/application_guide/making_the_right_choice_32.htm

Also, be aware that there are a number of Weber knockoffs out there, most from China.  So if they are pretty cheap you are probably looking at a Chinese version not the real deal.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I have a progressive one but never have tried it. Would need rebuilt though...
  • 50C8DAN
    I ran a 32/36 on my '79 Subaru and it really made that thing go!  It was like a whole new vehicle with a tiny 1600cc flat four.
  • 50C8DAN
    I also found this.  I think either of the Weber carbs would be a good choice on all Hudson engines.  Here is a 2bbl Carter to 2bbl Weber adapter plate: https://www.amazon.com/Trans-Dapt-Performance-2086-Carburetor-Adapter/dp/B000CQ20M8

Here is a comment on the use of Weber carbs on 6 cyl. Jeeps, that are the 4.2 OHV AMC I6 (a evolution of the Nash OHV 6), which probably compares well with Hudson I6 for HP and performance.

Weber – This is probably the most common carb conversion for the 6 cyl Jeeps. The Weber is a very reliable, all mechanical carb that improves performance and drivability. The Weber is designed to supply the proper amount of fuel determined by the demand put on the engine. When demands are small, only the primary barrel is used, and when demands increase, the second barrel is used in to deliver the performance needed. 

The 32/36 DGEV model claims 18% hp increase over the stock factory carb as well as 10-20% fuel economy increase. The 38 DGEV model is designed for higher power applications where headers, cam, and aftermarket intake manifold are used. $$

(As a side note I find the listing as country of origin from Amazon, Taiwan, province of China to be BS.  Taiwan is not a province of China)
  • 50C8DAN said:

(As a side note I find the listing as country of origin from Amazon, Taiwan, province of China to be BS.  Taiwan is not a province of China)
    ? Well... Not yet... Soon, though.

Back to the topic; the 32/36 is really tempting since the price of rebuild kits for the Carters just keeps going up.
  • 50C8DAN
    Carter is also very old tech.  Webers are about as good as a carb will ever get with much improved atomization.
  • 50C8DAN
    Well here is a good video, it is not a Hudson, but it is an old Plymouth flathead 6 that had a Carter 1bbl.  Looks like this worked out pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMbIqJFpOCA

• 50C8DAN
    More details on Weber carb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A44-xG3pKlY

• LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    I ran 3 of the 32/36 on a 292 chevy. The same set up as in the video. Once they were dialed in they operated problem free. 
  • LHudson said:
    I ran 3 of the 32/36 on a 292 chevy. The same set up as in the video. Once they were dialed in they operated problem free. 
    Better performance than a Rochester??
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited April 2021
    There is a post on the Hudson FB page showing Weber progressive 2bbl carb adapted to Hudson 2Bbl manifold.  The adapter source is shown in the picture.