WANTED: 46 Bonnet Hinge Bolt Assembly

Hey all, I am looking for a pair of bonnet hinge bolt assemblies for a 46. I need the entire bolt assembly. Bolt, washers, bushings, liners & springs,  I would also take the brackets if they were available. Any help on repros that would work or a lead on the parts would be much appreciated.

In the diagram below, I need:

• R3-23
  • R3-29
  • R3-30
  • R3-31
  • R3-32
  • R3-33
  • R3-34

Comments

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    The bolt is 7/16 fine thread about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 long with nut, the washers are nothing special I used ss flats about 1 1/8" diameter, the bushings were nylon stock turned on lathe, none of this is particularly special but the cone shaped springs are an unknown.  They seem to be about 1- 1 1/4" tall with a base diameter the same as the nylon bushings and the top about 3/4" with a 1/2" opening.  The tricky part is their compression.  I tried to get a response on this site several months ago in order to find something to substitute or buy a used pair.  When assembled the space for the springs appear to only be about 3/4" tall. Mine is assembled without springs and my observation is that they should not be too stiff or difficult to compress.  The mounting plate is 7/16 fine thread and the nut is used to lock the bolt.  I don't think the spring has to be conical to function so I might eventually use a straight spring with adequate compression. Hope this is helpful
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Sounds similar to the conical springs used on 20's Essex doors under the handle escutcheons. Similar springs were used on other brands of 20's cars.
    Restoration Specialties may be worth a try 
  • WRP has the bushings.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I have looked at various escutcheon springs and they don't appear to be strong enough
  • Seems like I might have most of what I need minus the spring & those bushings which I had not noticed previously at WRP.

Thanks for the info all! It was very helpful and now I should have enough info to get the hood put on properly. 

-Lance
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    You get a pair of conical springs when you buy these Willys Jeep parts. The springs are 7/8" tall, 5/8" ID at the top and 1" ID at the bottom, they are made from .075" wire.

• 40indianssgmailcom
    I have one spring that looks similar to the jeep item although I don't know it's source, it was in my odds and ends pile.  I will measure it for comparison as it has the right feel for compression. Those might be the solution. Thanks for the tip
  • Thanks for sharing about the springs. I happen to have those exact jeep parts sitting in my randoms box! Just grabbed the springs out of it. Now I just need to get those bushings from WRP and I’m off to the races. Thanks again everyone for the info!