tire removal

when i bought the 28 Mr.Lundy said the weird 3 leg tool is for removing tire from wheel, apparently its supposed to stretch the rim and tire off... any help would be great. i searched youtube... nothing that i could find.... any tips??

Comments

• 1928 essex
  • took all 5 nuts and clips to hold tire and rim on, basically rim and tire slides right off the wheel but the valve stem needs to be pushed back to remove tire and rim...REALLY???
    so if i have a spare inflated .. how am i supposed to put it back on the wheel with a inflated tire??
    the spare im experimenting on is from my complete spare drivetrain and i have a mounted inflated one on the back of my driver car ... i hope my rambling on makes sense  ....

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Rotate the wheel so the valve is at the top then pull the bottom of the tyre and the tyre and rim should come off towards you. When the bottom is out past the wheel then lift it up so the valve clears and take the whole thing off. If it us hard to get moving use a rubber mallet with a couple of good wacks from behind at the bottom.
  • wow... THANK YOU.... 
    looks like i found a answer...
    IM NEW AT THIS ... as i DID NOT restored the car... but fixed all leaks and and got all FOUR brakes working rather than only ONE... :)

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    There are videos on on removing the tire from the rim using the tool to pull the rim and expand it back.  Look for Model T tire changing.  Fairly straight forward.  I would recommend adding a tire flap between the rim and the tube.  Especially if you are not cleaning up the rims.  I am in the process of doing this on my 26 if Texas will unfreeze.

Jay
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    The New Zealand HET Club has the video Geoff Clark made on fitting tyres & wheel changes for late 20's Hudson & Essex as a tech topic for the 2009 HET Centenary meet.. Geoff generously gave the rights to reproduce this video to the NZ HET Club as a fund raiser. $10.00 for the Dropbox link or $16.00 for a mailed DVD.  contact me on HETdavid@websters.co.nz (Drop the HET - there to foil the spambots!!)
  • did NOT remove the outer spoke plate just the drum... took a rasp to remove grime and gunk from spokes.....sanded ...varathaned flat black tremclad paint all metal (not inside drum) replaced everything. ALMOST looks like new with a bit of patina due to the age of the wood... now have 1 of 4 done....(all spares... :)  ) 

• Add talc (lots of it) to the inside of the tire before inserting the tube,  this helps reduce heat bonding of the tube to the inside of the tire.  
  • now of course the last  rear wheel is giving me a headache.. i wd40 by the keystock and pounded, then tried a scissors jack from frame to a 2x4 on the frame of the wheel and heated the hub  and pounded some more...
    I think this wheel was put on in 1928 and never removed ,

i'm going to bring a spare wheel and get a nut made to fit the threads of the wheel so i then get a pulley puller on .... its like 2 1/2''. fine thread..... correct me if i'm wrong on the threads. 
     please 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Your efforts will be futile unless you use a proper puller, sorry.
  • RIM TOOL

• Geoff said:
    Your efforts will be futile unless you use a proper puller, sorry.

Geoff...  i know ... i went to a couple of pipe fitting places.... nothing.... 'get one made'i got told... machinist over 90$.  hr. min setup time  2 hrs....   i think ill just leave the wheel on spare frame... and just use the tire... $200 bucks to remove a wheel and i have 3 spares....

anyone has a spare puller?

its like 2 1/2'' and fine threads. (15T to the inch) so i was told at the pipe fitting places

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    16 t.p.i. actually. Try ebay, and advertising in the w.t.n.
  • Geoff said:
    16 t.p.i. actually. Try ebay, and advertising in the w.t.n.
    thank you. Geoff
    w t n.  stands for...?

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    White Triangle News, you have obviously not yet joined the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane club.   Recommend you do so.
  • getting a puller made at 16TP Inch built.. will show pics soon

• RichardD said:
    RIM TOOL

RichardD said:
    RIM TOOL

i have one of those..... :)

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Contact David Young:   NZDavid@Websters.co.nz   (Omit the leading "NZ",)   he has the video of how to change split rims without a spreader.    All you need is a  large screwdriver, providing the  rim is perfectly round with no overlap.  If it has overlap when it is out of the tyre you have to jack it out so that the ends come back completely even without any tension.