Heavier Front Sway Bar?

Hey all, 

A few years ago there was talk of a beefier front sway bar for step downs was being prototyped and would soon be offered by one of our major go-to parts guys.  Did this ever ultimately happen?  Thanks

Ray

Comments

• Yes. Dale Cooper is having them done. I have used 1-1/8" Jeep swaybars on stepdown Hudsons. A slight modification is required. They are about $25 at the local auto wreckers, and work great. The first one I did was in 1990.
  • Can you tell me more about what was involved in modifying a set of Jeep bars?
  • They are a little too narrow, clear out at the end where the links drop down to the lower control arms... I used my old one as a guide, and heated the bar up, about six inches from the end and bent it outward to match the one I took off. Let it cool on it's own. Don't quench it in water. It's been performing admirably for 31 years. It corners like an entirely different car. The Jeep application is 1990 Cherokee, and Comanche (front). There is a range of years that are the same, and 1990 in somewhere in the middle.If you get with the local 4 wheelers, you might be able to get one for free. A lot of those guys take them off and throw them away. They have better suspension articulation without a sway bar.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I bought a couple from Dale. They work great
  • @54coupe Wow... actually that seems really do-able.  I just wish I had an oxy acetylene setup.  Dont think I could get it that hot with just a map gas hand torch.  
  • I’ve never used on of those I’ve never used one if those. I’d say it’s doubtful.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited February 2021
    FYI
    Before Dale Cooper was making them I installed a mid -late'90's Ford Ranger that fit well.  Used the larger ID Ranger U Clamps that fit Hudson frame holes