1941 Commodore 8 convertible?

Please help me with this.  My neighbor has this car sitting in her backyard under a tree.  What should we do with this?

Comments

• VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    A diamond in the Rough! I sold my '41 Conv. "diamond in the Rough" many years ago and it went from the west coast to the east coast. Now it's A Diamond! This has to be SAVED!
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I sent you a pm  I love a diamond in the rough thanks Tom.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Another rare beast comes out of the fog!   This is begging for the attention of a concours restoration... not withstanding the dollars and hours ... what a image I have in mind.... Thanks for the post... RUSS MAAS ...do you have your speaker turned up????? 
  • Where is that beauty?
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    The user that made the post, his info is:

State (Home)  VA
    Country (Home) United States
    City (Home) Fort Defiance
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    This is not too far from me. Not in my backyard, but not too far. If someone is seriously interested, I can go down and facetime with them...
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    To answer WAHOO's question: your neighbor should either sell the car, or move it under cover (preferably on a concrete floor).  It looks to be in surprisingly good condition for having sat outside, but it's rusting away and she needs to do something before it dissolves completely, and its value drops to zero.
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    edited February 2021
    Strange original posting.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I’m sure the guy was Trolling to see if was worth a bunch of money that he could somehow capitalize on.  
    Not every rusty old car is of Shelby Mustang or Cobra values!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    The poster seems legitimate , nothing against them that I can see other than a couple of years ago they were selling a boat (Google has its uses ...)

it is possible that they do have a neighbour with this car there

As ever "caveat emptor" springs to mind
  • I am real.  I do live in Fort defiance.

My neighbor is an old lady whose husband died two years ago.  The Hudson was his.  

I am interested in helping my neighbor. I have done a very small bit of research and the above responses confirm my suspicions.  This is an extremely rare car.  The body is in very good shape all things considered.  I was not able to get the hood up (I now know that it apparently hinges from the front) but I can see that the motor is there but it appears the head is missing.  However there are tons of parts in the cab of the car.

I can take more pictures etc if you’d like.  You can contact me directly at my phone number.  Please pm me for that.
  • Rocket
    I have sent you a pm I would like to talk to you about the car thanks.
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    VicTor Z said:
    A diamond in the Rough! I sold my '41 Conv. "diamond in the Rough" many years ago and it went from the west coast to the east coast. Now it's A Diamond! This has to be SAVED!

• Rocket
    VicTor Z I have sent him a pm I am just waiting to here back from him I would love to save this car also 7XPacemaker I would love to have you tell me what I may need to get this done I will let you know  if I get the car just waiting to her back from the seller.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Let me know. My offer definitely stands..
  • The simple answer of Virginia would have sufficed 
  • Rocket
    7XPacemaker thank you so much I think that WAHOO may be busy I am still waiting to here back from him I hope to work something out with him and the lady who owns the car I sent him a pm soon as  I here from him I will send you a pm and let you know what is going on Tom.
  • Rocket
    I am still waiting to here back from the seller I realy want to buy this car and bring it back to look like the day it came from the factory hope to here something soon.
  • Rocket - Good on you for trying to bring this car back to life again.  I do hope you understand the $$$$ it’s going to take to do this car correctly. I know the 1941’s intimately as I did a ground-up on a ‘41 Commodore 6 coupe almost thirty years ago and have had several 46/47’s including a 46 Super 8 coupe.  I rebuilt that motor so I know what you’re in for there. Hopefully the floor is not rusted out.  And hopefully all of the stainless strips are there for the running board.  Speaking of running boards, no one reproduces the correct RB rubber mat.  It’s really cool with the polished stainless strips in between the ribs.  

Good luck and keep us posted. If you have any questions, I’m in Winchester, VA

todd h
  • I saved the one ('47) you see in my log on photo.  It can be done.  Only took me 18 years.
  • Rocket
    I hope I can be the person to save this one the hardest part to this is waiting to here from the seller hopefuly I will here something soon.