Horn contact rod

Hello I own a 51 super six, and I recently took off the steering wheel. When I got the wheel off I accidentally hit the Bakelite ring around the horn contact rod and it broke. The rod made its way down in the steering column and I can’t get it back up. Does anyone know how to get it back up, or another way to access it?

Comments

• By rod, do you mean the wire running down the length of the steering column that goes to the horn relay?   If so, the easiest way to replace it is to get a thinner strand of wire and wrap it to the bullet terminal end of the horn wire.  First, thread the thin wire up from the bottom end of the steering shaft to  the center of the steering wheel.  Now, wrap the thin wire around the bullet terminal end of the horn wire. At this point ,reverse direction and pull the now connected wires down through the shaft.  . Once the bullet terminal end of the wire appears connect it to the horn relay.   The horn wire needs to have an isolated ring around it at the end near the contact button. If yours is broken,you might consider using a cylindrical rubber washer to isolate the horn contact button. Good luck.