1938 country club

2manyprojects
2manyprojects Expert Adviser
i have the original under running board radio antenna complete in amazing  condition which side does it mount to ? guessing drivers side but not sure. thank you

Comments

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    Hi Paul it goes under the drivers side running board there should be some clips that hang down from the running board at each end that the antenna hooks on to I have seen cars with one under each running board for more range with the AM radio.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I would expect a Country Club to have the radio with antenna under both running boards.  I rebuilt one many years ago on a'36.
  • 2manyprojects
    thanks! Park some of the rubber coating over the wire is gone is it a must that the complete run of wire be encased? where did you enter the body with the wire to meet the radio?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    By the way, the shop manuals have sections with drawings on the installation of factory radios.  If you don't have access to one, the Club on-line library may have one you can download.  (Go to the homepage and click "library", if you're a Club member)

As to the rubber coming off the wire, can't you replace it with some modern rubber-coating wiring?
  • 2manyprojects
    thanks Jon yes it can be replaced.
  • 2manyprojects
    yes i have been in the club since 1987 . is my forum log in the same for the home page ?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I think if you can get to the H-E-T Forum (not the Open Forum) you would have full use of the H-E-T website.  Anyway, try it!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Paul , your login id on the HET website is "coolsen". I can see a password reset was done yesterday for you but the last time , at the moment, you accessed it was August of 2020.

If you are having problems drop myself or Aaron a note and we can sort you out
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    There was a fair bit of the original wire under the car, especially the crossover from left to right.  (As I recall, there was a splice at the center underneath).  The best match I found (and used) is thirties/forties black spark plug wire. It looked identical to the original.  I think it's still available in bulk from a Ford restoration source.