Bringing home my first car circa 1956

https://youtu.be/eeYXDrWGUCo 

Hope this link works. I have been digitizing my parents old 8mm movies and thought you might find this amusing. The car is long gone unfortunately. I was about 12 years old then.         Gord

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for sharing!  ???
  • Can someone confirm the year? I always thought it was a '27.  Gord
  • Reminds me of my youth with my dad. 
    Thanks for sharing. 
    I believe you’re correct on the year due to the painted headlight buckets. 
     More knowledgeable members will correct me if it’s a 1928!
  • The cowl lights are a one year only item... 1928
  • Thankyou. Now I know.  Gord
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Wow. Did you ever get it running and driving?
  • No, old cars didn't have much value in those days. My dad just encourage me to take it apart and learn what all the parts were and what they did. From then on, anything I dragged home I managed to get running. I guess the old Essex started me on my career as a mechanic. Now I'm a 74 year old, still driving my MG and restoring an Austin Seven.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful vintage film of the "rescue" of an Essex!  I really like that period International pickup truck too.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    edited January 2021
    That is so cool. Something I can relate to for sure!! Picture 1968, I have that same car restored in my shed now.

• hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Very cool. Reminds me of the first Hudson I restored. Just sold my 28 Essex a couple years ago. Had lots of fun with that car.

• ernie28 said:
    That is so cool. Something I can relate to for sure!! Picture 1968, I have that same car restored in my shed now.

Love old photos like this! I didn't know they made a 2 door or is that a modification? Now you guys are making me feel guilty I scrapped the old girl!   Gord
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My first car, which I still have is also a 1928 Essex, bought in 1956.
  • Geoff said:
    My first car, which I still have is also a 1928 Essex, bought in 1956.
    I am impressed!!!
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I bought my 28 Essex Coupe in 1964 & still drive it (after a several year's hibernation)