Uncommon Engineering Wild Hudson 308s

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
This has been discussed in years passed.  I am not sure what they are up to now but you might want to check it out:

http://www.uncommonengineering.com

If I were going 3x2 this is the ticket:

Hudson 7X Uncommon Engineering Style (above & below) Sports "One-Off" Three Duece Tripower, Uncommon fabricated Headers, Uncommon Converted MSD Ignition, Modded ATI Balancer, Along with all the usual goodies, hard ex seats, Manley Stainless Hi-Flo's, Forged Pistons, ARP rod bolts & head studs, Crane springs & retainers, Mopar lifters, Trick Street Grind Cam, degreed Tru-Roller Timing Set, 100 AMP alternator, Topped Off by a one-of-a-kind "Factory" lookUncommonly fabricated air cleaner setup.  

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    They sure do nice work but I read this inquiry previously 'has anyone ever seen one of their motors in a Hudson'?

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited January 2021
    Chuck:  a 8x motor was built and installed in a 54 SWasp Hollywood which was later removed and replaced by a GM V6 and another motor I believe was similar to the 9X was built and installed in the UE 1954 Wasp 4 door.  That car was built under contract for a Mexican Road Race participant.  The car was sold via EBay 2 years later to Jim Guinn of Texas. Jim brought the car to the Big Country HET meet in Waco 2017. Very tough motor backed by 4 spd with posi in rear.  Jim; who has since passed away, willed the car to his grandson ( named Hudson) car has since dropped from sight.  
  • I am wondering what did they do to the Modded AT1 balancer?

Ivan L.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited January 2021
    Check with the owner via website.  Owner was at onetime Indianapolis brickyard engine chassis builder.  
  • 50C8DAN
    It is interesting how they plumbed the balance tube back into the center carb adapter plate?
  • 50C8DAN
    From Steve at Uncommon Eng:

Dan, the Triple-H was built for a specific class of vintage road racing / rallye in Europe, in Scandanavia.  It took a lot of work, as it was an original cast iron intake for authenticity.  When you bore the holes to fit the two barrels, it breaks into the heat riser passages at (8) places, all had to be intricately patched with steel and cast iron welded with special rod, took a week to make.  Ran good, the owner’s mechanic wrote me an email when he first got the car together, said he floored the thing and it “took off” , went through the gears (Hydromatic) and wound up well over 100 MPH very, very quickly, he finally stopped the car and said he was literally “shaken” by the experience.  Scared the heck out of him.  

So no, I’m not into parts sales, I only build a very few competition or major show engines per year, in these engines I perform a lot of cast iron surgery, huge ports, etc, to get the edge in vintage competition.  I don’t sell any parts at all, none.  Easiest way to make one of those is to locate an old Edmunds aluminum intake for Hudson, it was cast for two two-barrels instead of the two one barrels on the Twin-H,  Then add the third carb between the two outers.   There’s a guy out there who was re-casting the same thing (like the Edmunds) a few years ago, forgot who he was.  Just look on ebay until one shows up for sale.   ----Steve  

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I see that the "uncommon engineering" site is no longer up.
  • 50C8DAN
    Bummer - although he had not posted anything new in several years.
  • Hmm. The domain is available... That's not a good sign.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Some years back I machined the valve guides for Steve at Uncommon Engineering - They were Alum-Silicone-bronze for the Hudson Hornet engines he built. Very precise tolerances. Made them on a specialized lathe called a Hardinge HC Chucker which was an early production lathe before CNC computerized machinery. As a retired machinist I enjoy those challenges. Gert
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    A current location:  https://www.instagram.com/uncommon_engineering/
    Hudson enginepictures are here too