Wireless Tail Lights

Watching the latest Jay Leno Garage episode on his 1931 Bentley Mulliner, he mentioned his wireless tail lights.  Well I pulled up the website & thought it was something I should share with the forum. There is a video on the website about the unit, looks pretty good.

http://www.theegyptgarage.com/

Comments

• That's cool, and they aren't charging a small fortune for them either.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Sadly, illegal in the UK.  :(
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    What isn’t illegal in the UK!  
  • Sadly, illegal in the UK.  :(

Illegal,? Or just not sufficient?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Positively illegal. Indicator lights must be on each side of the car, front and back, mounted at points within stipulated dimensions relating to height and distance from the corners of the body.
    It could be worse, in many European countries the indicator lights have to be a minimum size and shape - and the car has to have side repeater indicators, no matter how old the car is.

• But you can get wireless lights that come in pairs to enable tractors and farm machines that don't have lights or lights that are failed due to damage to be roadworthy here in Australia.. They are attached by magnetic studs, 100 hours charge and include yellow indicators.. Legal here... Don't think the one Jay Leno uses for his 1931 Bentley would be legal here also cheers ken 
  • Old Fogey UK

Most people here mount motorcycle turn signal lights on their bumper brackets as the least damaging solution.

In European countries Like Italy they have actually to be mounted on the fenders.

I used some old Harley Davidson ones that have little fins on them and look like mini airships. They look very Art Deco and unobtrusive on my bumper brackets.

So much so that in my local old car club (mainly 1930s Austin owners) they think they're OEM and I've had comments like "Wow, weren't 30s American cars advanced compared with ours ?".

I don't have the inclination to disabuse them of that idea !!!

• Old Fogey UK
    BigSky said:
    What isn’t illegal in the UK!  

Not much !!!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What was that old Andrews Sisters hit?   "It's illegal or immoral or it makes you fat!"
  • Geoff said:
    What was that old Andrews Sisters hit?   "It's illegal or immoral or it makes you fat!"
    Now you are showing your age.

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I suspect many of us are of that generation!!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    83 next month!
  • The who sisters???? ?
  • At home in Belgium ok for the original arrows