Alternator Mounting Bracket

Hello. Wondering if anyone could help me out. I am looking for a universal mounting bracket for my alternator for my 1950 Pacemaker Flathead 232. I tried using the Spectre (42283) but the holes for bolting it to my engine block weren't long enough. 2" hole spacing and I need 3'. Any help is welcome. Thank you

Comments

• I used the original generator mount and made a spacer because the alternator mount is shorter.I may have relocated the adjusting arm to a higher bolt, A small piece of pipe cut to fit works.
  • Thank you 29sptphaeton. I tried using the existing mount for the generator to use on the alternator. Unfortunately the pulley's don't align to attach the v-belt properly. I need the alternator to come forward another inch or so. Anyone else?
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    I have used a piece of threaded rod thru the stock genny mounts on the block and mounted the alternator ahead of the front mount. Cut the rod the length of the stock bracket plus width of alternator mount and nuts on both ends. Washers to shim.

Hope that helps.

Also a pic to show the project that is in.

• I may have reversed my generator mount. I think it’s longer one way than the other. Bolt holes still line up. I did it a couple of years ago so I’m not sure now.
  • Actually this makes more sense now attaching it on the outside of the bracket arm. Thank you both, I will take a look at it both ways and see which version makes it fit.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Good lookin project!
    Cept, I think that left front tire is a little low on air...... :)
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Left front tyre not low on air, it's just all gone to the top!!
  • here are pictures of how i set up my GM alternator on my engineThe lower bracket is custom made for the front motor mounting bracket. the top bracket is from an old style driver side mounted alternator on a Chevy. I used the generator upper bracket to bend and shorten this new bracket. As you can see, it works perfectly with a belt, if i had taken the picture of it.

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    ESSX28-1 said:
    Left front tyre not low on air, it's just all gone to the top!!
    Now thats funny right there!!
    Good one.
  • Here's a pic of the alternator bracket in my '54 Hornet.