timing marks

were are the timing marks when replacing timing chain on a 1948 hudson 6 cyl.

Comments

• there is no marks on the crankshaft sprocket??
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
     This is an extract from the mechanical procedures manual ... 

• There is a dot on both gears that correspond with links on the chain
  • I look everywhere there is no mark on the crankshaft sprocket [gear].  how do I send a photo of the gear?
  • Did you put the gear on backwards with the dot on the inside?
  • I never took the gear off of the crank shaft.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You can see the round dot on the crank sprocket, and the paler colour of the two marked links on the chain.   There will be a round mark on the cam sprocket as well. 
  • Geoff,are you looking to the photo I posted?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited January 2021
    Rerider you have the sleeve for the timing cover seal on the crank and it is covering the dot on the crank gear.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, I am looking at your picture.   You can clearly see the dot on the cam gear, matching the pale link on the chain at the 2'o'clock position.  If you take the  seal collar off you will note that there is a similar dot on the crank gear,  which should be matching up with the other pale coloured link.   
  • Ok thanks, I will check again?
  • The mark on the sprocket is on the tooth under the link of the chain. It looks like you have it together properly. 
  • Thanks54 coupe will pull the chain and see if I can find it?
  • Nothing on the sprocket under the chain,I put it back the same way,and hope for the best.Again thanks.
  • paulrhd29nz
    paulrhd29nz Member
    edited January 2021
    redrider,  I’m only speculating here but possibly 
    what folks are trying to tell you is there is a collet on the small gear that comes off. It is a seal. You need to remove  it to reveal the hole sprocket. It will have the marks that you need to see once removed. I’ve marked the collet/ seal in yellow on your photo. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I wonder if the crank sprocket has been put on reversed?
  • Ok thanks to everyone.
  • I have one other question, on the camshaft sprocket,does the 3 bolts that hold it on, have drill holes on the head of the bolt?
  • Yes, so they can be wired together and not come loose.
  • OK thank you.
  • Now the is my other problem, to adjust the tappets it say when #2 inlet valve starts to rise, it is followed bi # 1 exhaust valve  it does not, is the timing still off?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to check that when No.1 and 6 pistons are t.d.c that the No.  1exh. valve is just closing and the inlet just  opening.  Put a feeler gauge in the inlet tappet  gap, and when it pinches you get the lifting point on the cam.
  • Thank You All