What would be interesting to see for a Hudson performance manifold?

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited December 2020 in HUDSON
I was looking around at what other options might be out there for a new Hudson I6 manifold and found this one:  I believe this is 3 Weber 40 IDA downdrafts on a Ford 200.  Something like this in a log style manifold with proper flow allowance, with a progressive linkage would be pretty sweet!

Comments

• I see there are bungs for an oxygen sensor in each exhaust tube. I think that is the only way you can tune a Weber setup that has a carb throat for each cylinder, and no common plenum under the carbs.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The intake appears to be made from a steel plate with tubing welded to direct feed the cylinders.  This should be s fairly straight forward means of creating a Hudson manifold. Dany’s comment about the O‘2 sensors is key, with that data the carb balance can be done.  I would think a laser cut intake and carb base plates could be mocked up with tubing welded between creating the intake manifold for Hudson engines.   
  • 50C8DAN
    Here is another idea.  You could use the Clifford 4bbl manifold and add one of these?  To make it a 3x2 or  block off the center port and have a 2x2?

• Hmm. I wonder how that would perform. Wouldn't that setup defeat the gains from having the carbs flow to the closest ports by moving everything to the center?
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Have you ever seen a crossram intake on the old Dodge? The carb on the passenger side fender fed the driver's side bank! Those were some nasty engines. I think that they were over 300 horsepower way back then..
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited December 2020
    So like a Max Wedge 308....

or these cool intakes:

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    South Texas chapter member rebuilt his 262 - over bore with this manifold on Clifford 4bbl aluminum with 3 Stomberg 97s with progressive linkage. 

• 50C8DAN
    How does it run?
  • I'm curious too. Those are some sharp turns for flow from the two end carbs.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I can not attest to the manifolds performance. When I hear will post that information.

• Tubular intakes are certainly do-able. I have on with two 2-barrels as well.
  • You could use the 3 carb. Offenhauser adapter shown above and just run on the middle carb. With the end ones as dummies to get the triple look and still run smooth and efficient on the middle carb.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited January 2021
    If the 3 carbs are set up with progressive linkage the center one will be the main one run until you push the throttle past a pre-set point.  I had a J2 (Oldsmobile 3-2 barrel) set up on my 56 Olds & it was set to kick in the two outside carbs at 3/4 throttle.  When they kicked in it was full-on with those carbs.
  • Some guys put a block off plate under the outer carbs as dummies. Then they don’t have to deal with idle set and chokes, but still get the trip over look. Just the look without the aggravation.
  • 50C8DAN
    edited January 2021
    This guy sells some interesting repros

http://vintagespeed.com

Available Now–    Our new 3 carb adapter. $159.00        Tri-power in an hour tm Now you can put multiple carbs on those engines with no intakes available. This will give you the cfm you need for small and big block Chevs, 500 Caddy, 455 Buickbig block fords, and other great hot rod motors that want the look and economy of a tri power.  Our test show performance of this setup is equal to or better than use of a factory or aftermarket 3×2 intake due to the improved runner design of modern 4V intakes .This is also a great setup for you guys that want the look without all the work involved with an intake change out. We offer this as a complete ready to run system, with fuel lines, Roch carbs, linkage and air cleaners for $990.00 (plus $225. core charge  if you don’t have carb cores) Plate can be bolted to intakes with the carter AFB (edelbrock),and Holley. Also covers the spread bore (Q-jet) pattern. When you order let me know which bolt pattern you want and if the carb pads need to be 3 or 4 bolt.  Comes with intake mounting hardware.                                                                                                                                                                   Order one from our online catalog (part # fl-ca-3×2-4bt)-$ 159.00 adapt only. Look under fuel lines and carb adapters. Also available with the carb pads drilled 3 bolt for the stromberg 97, Holley 94’s and ECGs.                  (order part #fl-ca3x2-3bt) —same price.              (NOTE: this part has a patent pending)

LOOK!

This is one cool part. Features computer designed chambers for balanced equal flow. Cast alum and precison machined. We can drill to fit the Holley or Carter AFB  4 barrel pattern. It will also bolt on the spread bore Q-jet intakes and cover the ports. (part picture shows the Holley pattern) Will fit nearly all intakes, both factory and aftermarket. Now you can put three twos on all the hot rod motors both vintage and new. Low profile –only about 2″ high and 13 1/2″ long by 4″ wide at the carb pads. Can be used with the small base roch 2g or the 3 bolt holleys ecgs.  5 1/2″ center to center carb spacing so all our progressive linkage and fuel line kits fit perfectly.This plate can also be trimmed and welded to your 4 barrel alum intake-for a one piece look . Order yours today–In stock. $159.00

Complete Fuel setup– $1140.00  (plus $225. core charge if you don’t have 3 roch. carb cores) Ready to bolt on and run.           Part # FS-3×2 to 4V-Roch. Setup comes with adapter,two secondary carbs and primary carb  in our new marble finish, with manual choke–our best stainless progressive linkage—your choice of a polished stainless steel block style fuel line or the high welded fuel line (look at the fuel lines on the tri power setups at the top of this page to see the differant types)– You can have your choice of the red throat scoops with screens as shown or chrome bonnet style air cleaners. (NOTE) You can upgrade to differant carb finishes-aircleaners, polished or chrome adapter plate or add an elec. choke. 

This is our new 3 carb adapter plate to put 3 roch 2g, carter, or stromberg WW  carbs on your 4 v intake.  Now you will be able to run 3 carbs on any std 4 barrel intake. This will be great for you guys that can’t find an intake to fit your engine or those that want the look without the hassle of an intake swap. You will also be able to change back and forth between a 4v and trips in just a few minutes. Up to 900 cfm with this bad boy.  Any cool ideas? let me know. If you can dream it I can build it. NOTE——   ( This part has a patent pending)  

• Ah, ok. After seeing the shot of the bottom, it makes a lot more sense. I thought it was just a rectangular cast inside. It looks like there are runners that get the flow from the end carbs to the center. Kinda cool.
  • The 262 Hudson from South Texas, does anyone know he set up the firewall throttle linkage for that trip power set up? I have an idea of how it was done but I'd like to know how they did it
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I will post pictures of the turn around linkage using stock hudson linkage to operate tomorrow 
  • Thanks Glowplug
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Here are several pictures of the engine with carburetors and linkage showing.  They should provide a clear picture of how the stock Hudson throttle linkage has been connected to the progressive linkage provided with the aftermarket manifold set up.

• 50C8DAN
    What is this engine going into?  It sure will not fit under a stepdown hood, without a major hole in the right side!
  • 50C8DAN
    I guess if you want to do this the modern way this is the ticket with the look:

https://www.rcnmag.com/news/fitech-fuel-injection-3x2-tri-power-efi

https://fitechefi.com/product/go-efi-tri-power-600hp-system/

But it is going to cost you!
  • 50C8DAN
    Bill at Hamilton did a Twin H fuel injection on I believe his '49 Hudson.  He used to be active here but seems to be over run with business.  He is very knowledgable if you want to explore the EFI world.

http://hamiltonfuelinjection.com/category/2-tbi-throttle-body-injection.aspx

• Can someone please tell me what is the clearance between the top of the Twin H air cleaners and the bonnet, or hood is on a step down coupe. I have a 48 club coupe
  • Glowplug, I have to applaud you on your mechanical design and creativity for your throttle linkage setup. I see a mechanical system that holds numerous joints that will have slop and one that requires continuous adjustments. I looked at a system such as yours for my Edmond's two Rochester 2-jet setup. I went with a "Locar" throttle cable that eliminates the issues with a mechanical setup. 
    The throttle linkage will be a deterrent to some seeking multiple carbs and the cable will assist in an easier installation. It served my needs. Fred      
  • This answers one of my questions, on the linkage. GM throttle pedal and maybe a 6 cylinder cable or a 6.2 diesel cable will fit this bill perfectly.
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    Wow, that technology changes the game! 

I want some of those tools. haha
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks Fred!  Not my design or engine, the fellow who owns this employed a machinist to implement his design.  I will pass on the cable info as I suspect in the long run it will be a best fit solution.  ?