55 Wasp Gas Tank Dents and Coating

I pulled my tank out to see if I could remove the dents, paint it, and repair a leaking pickup tube flange seal. Looking inside, the liner material has come off in sheets. It appears to be original, thin silver coating. The raw steel isnt too bad, some light surface rust. I could try to dissolve the coating with acetone, derust it and recote, but the weather now is a little to extreme. The dents are pretty accessible tbrough the filler and sender ports. How much should I expect to pay to have it done? Is this type of service a thing of the past?

Comments

• I get the feeling your car saw more than a few rocky roads...
    Most simply cut the tops open, do what they need to in order to clean and plug and then weld shut. I'd think you could find a shop to do that. Yours looks very repairable. 
  • There are gas tank renu businesses that specialize in that but they are far from CT,  I dont think I could ship it. I will bring it to my radiator guy and see if he can do it.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    DONT GO TO GAS TANK RENU!  They DON’T stand behind their “Lifetime Warranty” so your on your own if they touch it!  I found out this past spring they don’t give a sh-t about you once they took your money and that was from the company owner.  

Here’s a sample of the problems:

• Wow thats really bad. It looks way too thick. The prepwork was probably minimal also.
    I think Caswell is the best tank sealant. Its easy to apply, sets up fast, and doesnt smell like acetone. Its a 2 part epoxy. 
    I will try to clean it up first myself. I poared kitty litter in it to absorb the gas fumes. I will try to knock the dents out with wood. Then small landscaping stones with soap and water to remove the loose coating. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    If you have access to a small cement mixer..put a chain in the tank and strap it to the mixer and run it with tank attached.  The crap inside will be cleaned off and the metal polished to receive the sealer.
  • I don't but I've heard of chains being used attached to drills. The bag of stones I have are various sizes, they work great for removing debris inside of tanks. I have shaken alot of rusty motorcycle tanks before but never a 20 gal. car tank, it will be a workout I'm sure. What have people used to paint the outside of tanks with? I could buy some galvanizing spray to keep the original look, or Rustoleum black.
    I scrubbed the undercarriage where the tank mounts, I will paint that area before I remount it. I want to paint the whole underneath little by little to protect it.
  • Have it dipped at a radiator place.
    NaOH will most likely remove it.
    Tell them to leave it in overnight or 2.
  • That will remove the coating?
  • Mix up some Red Devil Lye and see; I do not know.
     BUT be advised it will burn skin and put out eyes.
    Seems like the shop could say aye or nay.
  • Its too cold and dark now to do a complete strip and relining job, will have to wait for summer, I will just clean out the loose stuff and try to take out the dents and put it back in the car. 
  • I brought my tank to a shop that was recommended by a vintage car repair outfit in Old Saybrook, CT , Cardone and Daughter. I got it back and see that the inside was completely sandblasted and the Redcote sealer was evenly applied. Most of the dents were taken out. I have made gaskets for the sender and pickup. I have to paint the tank as it came back only primed. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I have had numerous gas tanks done at 2 different Gas Tank Renu locations with excellent results.  My '50C8 was done in 2005 and still is in great shape.
  • mine is in reparation. Cut and weld. The interior was clean. The holes of the condensation water. I'll get it back on Wednesday.

Then

https://restom.net/traitements-reservoir/134-restomsuperkit-1222594643.html

• This guy used solder to reattach the section on top that he cut out to access the inside. I hope that its strong enough to resist the strap clamping pressure.
    I used Caswell epoxy sealer on a motorcycle tank. It worked out really well and was easy to apply, and set up quick, barely any fumes. It will fill pinholes. If I did my tank myself, I would have used it.
    I tested my sender again, after cleaning the gasket material off of it before I went to install it, and found that it was dead. Hope to find an exact replacement but this 55 is a little hard to find parts for.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Go to my website-  https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html

access the fuel section on that page is a chart indicating fuel sender ohm values also a link to sender and gauge matching devices.
  • I found it, thanks. Great site.  I will send the unit to John Wolf for rebuilding.
  • My tank looks a lot better now. Redcote sealant inside and 4 coats of paint.
  • welding finishes;as it makes beautiful epoxy paint

• Looks good, alot neater than mine. You have to do things yourself if you want them to come out good, if I had the equipment and a heated space, I could have done a better job than what I paid $475.00 for. The last coat I painted on was flat black, it hides the blemishes better.
  • Thank you. 120 euros  :)
  • I got my tank installed and leak tested the tank, lines and fuel pump. I had my fuel sender rebuilt.