A Question About Tail Lights

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser

As my car is a '34 LTS Series Hudson 8, it would originally have only been fitted with one tail light on the left side.

Norris Smith - who owned the car before me - installed a second tail light on the right side to make the car safer for modern driving.

The one on the left has a lens marked "Hudson" but the right hand one has a triangle and no lettering on it.

The tail lights themselves are both correct '34 Hudson - or, rather, Terraplane because the car is LTS Series.

Would this have been correct for '34 Hudsons that had two tail lights ?

Or should they both have "Hudson" on them ?

If that's the case, what would the triangle lens have been on originally ?

(I tried to upload some pics but the site won't let me for some reason)

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    David,

There is a size limit on pictures that you may have fallen foul of. It should be 4Mb but sometimes this site decides on its own limits. If you want to email them to me I'll have a tweak
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thank you, Paul.
    I'll email the pics to you tomorrow.
  • Cars only had one brake light installed... So you're free to make up something you think looks good... Personally I'd have hudson under the licence plate and blank on the other.. But that's my opinion cheers ken 
  • Old Fogey UK
      ken1962 said:
    Cars only had one brake light installed... So you're free to make up something you think looks good... Personally I'd have hudson under the licence plate and blank on the other.. But that's my opinion cheers ken 
    Well Ken, that's the way they are - so great minds think alike !
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited December 2020

These are the photos referred to previously.

I have tracked down the bug that was causing posts like these to fail as well and , hopefully, fixed it
  • Old Fogey UK
    edited December 2020

Uh-uh, the previous pic doesn't seem to have come out too good.

I'll try another...

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    On my 36 English Built Hudson there were no tail lights so I bought a set to add on.  I purchased the lights with the Hudson print.  I have seen the diamond but I do not know what car they were used on...
  • Old Fogey UK
    On my 36 English Built Hudson there were no tail lights so I bought a set to add on.  I purchased the lights with the Hudson print.  I have seen the diamond but I do not know what car they were used on...

If it was an British Hudson it would originally have had at least one tail light.

The single tail light had to be on the right side or, more commonly, in the middle.

After the beginning of 1937 all British cars, no matter how old, had to be fitted with two tail lights, one on each side, by law.

• My 1938 British built Hudson 112 has tail lights on both sides.  Each serves 3 purposes: as night lights; as indicators; as brake lights.  Is that normal?
  • Old Fogey UK
    My 1938 British built Hudson 112 has tail lights on both sides.  Each serves 3 purposes: as night lights; as indicators; as brake lights.  Is that normal?
    Originally they would just have been brake and tail lights.
    At that time, flashing indicators weren't used in Britain - your car would have had semaphore style trafficators.
     I think it's most likely your tail lights have been modified at some stage to incorporate turn indicators.

• My original 34.LEFT LIGHTS ACRONYM HUDSON. FIRE RIGHT NO ACRONYM
    1 stop light above the original license plate

• Original  1974

• Old Fogey UK
    JACK356 said:

My original 34.LEFT LIGHTS ACRONYM HUDSON. FIRE RIGHT NO ACRONYM
    1 stop light above the original license plate

That is interesting information.
    So perhaps my non-matching stop light lenses are correct.