Santa got me a 308!!

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Santa came a few days early and hooked me up with a 1954 308 engine!!  No idea what I’m gonna put it in yet.... but it’s gonna be a hot build for sure.  I’m open for direction & suggestions because while I know the 212ci splasher, this is my 1st 308 engine!  She did come with a 308 & 262 head but that’s about it.  

Comments

• Purdy... Looks like you really can get anything shipped from Amazon. :D
  • BigSky
    Amazon was all out of 7X motors, so I had to settle for this one......?
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Check out the SN on the engine.  Late 54 308's have a few improvements over the early production.  There are a lot of conversations over how far to go with the improvements and the best head, of the two that you have, that work the best.  I like the 308 head because it is all steel and more dependable.  The "hot" you want is all about close tolerance machining, and a good cam.  check with Randy Maas, he offers four cam grinds and the other things that you want to hook up to it.  I went with the hottest cam he offered that does not lope # 3 out of 4--one above the 7X mill..  I am happy and as the Beach Boys say:  "She'll so 140 in the top end floored."  Enjoy the build...
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    My Hudson dealer said they are expecting a shipment of 308 Hemi I6s crate engines after the first of the year.  Fuel injection system sold separately.
  • Maybe you need a Hornet Hollywood to put that engine in, or a Super 6 Hollywood.....just sayin, if your needin
  • BigSky
    edited December 2020

Couldn’t find any other numbers on the block, but not sure where exactly to look.  
  • That block was made July 27, 1954
  • It's stamped with the original car's VIN just in front of the #1 exhaust port on the block. You can tell from the VIN when it was made. I'm not sure when the mods occurred Brownie is referring to. Maybe he knows the VIN cut off for old vs. new.
  • BigSky
    edited December 2020
    Thanks Cheyenne, I just found the document to figure that one out.  Not sure if that puts me into the late 54 category or not.  I did see a 1956 308 & in comparison the relief of the 56 block looked to be double what my 54 block has!  

I was doing some scotch bright work on the bores today to see what they look like.  There are a few small voids but my eye isn’t trained to know if I’m seeing a 5, 10, or more of a void.  May have to buy another tool!

I definitely want to do a performance engine & I had seen on Maas’s website impressive work & parts (cam!) available too.  I’d definitely like to find it and aluminum head, probably a Clifford, headers & not sure on intake.  I’ve always love the Twin-H look....
  • I do too, planning my next nasty 308 build, with cam headers and Clifford intake with two 2bbls
  • 50C8DAN
    it would nice to get Larry at Clifford to finally get that 2x2 manifold done!  Give him a call and see how many he now says he needs to get the project going!  I would really like one!!!!
  • BigSky
    Anyone know of some one who may have some performance parts for the 308, like an Edmunds or Clifford aluminum head & intake?  Even a high performance factory aluminum head may be an option.  I don’t know of any other performance heads for the 308, are there any?
  • 50C8DAN
    There were some made by that bandit casting outfit in Texas that ripped off the HET members' design and tooling.  Nice head well designed.  You might find someone out there that bought one and would be willing to sell it.
  • BigSky
    I didn’t think that crook ever actually delivered any of the heads? 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Heads were delivered, but the production was halted due to problems created by the owner of the casting facility. 
  • BigSky
    edited December 2020

Was this the head on the right?  It’s very good looking!  That’s a shame it came to an end with them.  We’re all heads sold or could they be sitting on some?
  • 50C8DAN
    The casting outfit even advertised them in the WTN for a while.  Not sure how many they sold.

Here is a thread on it!  
    https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/169290/hudson-finned-head-redux

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I am going to have a Clifford Head and an Aluminum intake manifold in late spring.  The pair should run around $2k give or take, depending on what the owner will make available.  There is a rebuildable 1954 308 with it missing the linkage.  If you have an interest PM me and I will give you the details when they are available.  Not sure the date of the changes to the 54 engine but I have a update page from the factory that I will look at and see if it has a date....

• 50C8DAN
    There are a number of small aluminum foundries with good reputations around.  Some of them provide design assistance as well.  I am wondering if there is enough interest to design and cast Hudson 2 x 2 aluminum intakes.  Clifford is never going to do it, but we may be able to take a 4bbl Clifford and use that as a start to make a 2 x 2?  Anyone interested?  
  • Is that a 2x2 4bbl you're contemplating? 
  • 50C8DAN
    No it would be a twin 2bbl manifold based on the Clifford 4bbl design for starters.  This cannot be rocket science.  Larry (Jack Clifford's son-in-law) moved from LA to Maine a about a year and a half ago.  He kept telling me that he had the drawings, etc. for a new 2x2 manifold ready to go for tool making back in 2017.  Well it is never going to happen, so if an aluminum performance manifold is ever going to come about it will need to be by the HET crowd.

• 50C8DAN
    Manifold is a lot easier than a head due to the water passages in the head.
  • Ah, I was going to say the same thing about the manifold. It doesn't seem to be that complex.
    I assume the market for the 2x2 is largely for non-twin-H owners who want to convert to dual carbs, correct?
  • 50C8DAN
    That and lower the weight of the cast iron manifolds.
  • BigSky
    Brownie, I’m still speechless over what you may have to pay for a Clifford head & intake.... $2,000!  

When I see those prices on a Hudson 308, makes me NOT want to build the one I bought.  NOT JUDGING YOU, but I don’t see the value in it for me to build a 308 if performance heads are $1500 & intakes are $500.  

I love the uniqueness of the Hudson’s but I don’t love it enough to spend that kinda money on an engine that will never have enough power in the end for me.  Again, I’m not judging you. 
  • BigSky
    I just got off the phone with a Hudson friend who was telling me that if I run the manual transmission behind the 308 that it will twist & break things.  (Clutch, input shaft, etc)  Is this true?  How often does this happen?  

The last thing I want is an automatic and I definitely don’t want to put together an engine that I can’t use and have to drive like an old lady cuz I’m afraid of breaking it.  I really need to know if I have a boat anchor now!
  • Are you planning on running the orig trans?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    A weak link is the Input shaft if you run large tires then dump the clutch racing, however street driven good stock 308's will easily go over a hundred like modern cars. Few modifications take it up there much quicker..... Some guys now adapt 5 Spd Tranny's, unlike me prefering modern Automatic Trans....

• You could do what I plan to do, and make your own cylinder head... The next time I have my engine apart in my race car,I will be making a two piece head with two plugs per cylinder. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes 100 hours for me to make it... obviously no one is going to pay me to do it, but that’s ok. It’s what I want to try, and I think it will solve my head gasket issues. (I’m running 11.25:1 compression) 

I know someone who has a brand spanking new Clifford head. I’m not sure he would take $1500 for it, and I seriously doubt there will be any more made. That’s more than most people will pay, but it’s brand new, and hasn’t been molested in any way... it’s not going to be easy to find a Factory Hudson head you can say that about.

Hudson made an aluminum intake for the big sixes in 48. It’s a 2bbl, but I think it could be converted to a 4bbl pretty easily. I have an extra one of those, and I will be giving that a shot as well, at some point. I’m using an Edmunds on my race car right now, with two Holley 2300 series 2bbls. That setup works pretty well too.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Designed by Rudy Bennett and Chuck Fellows.