WGD carb placement from scratch

Hello guys and gals,

As I’m slowly rebuilding my ‘49 Hudson to a more drivable car I ditched the Holley and bought a refurbished WGD.

Now I have to make a few adjustments and need some parts and because I don’t live in the US some parts aren’t that easy to come by (because inch in stead of mm).

I have a few questions about the hookup of the fuel line, choke and vacuum line.

What kind of thread an size are the vacuum lines and what kind of thread and size is the fuel line?

When I measure the size the vacuum line says 0.324 and the fuel line says 0.442. This is in between the high part of the threads. I don’t know much about inch sizes and the UNC/UNF system or if these lines use another size altogether. 

Oh and the choke has a screw connection too. Where does that go?

Comments

• eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    edited November 2020
    If I remember correctly the vacuum line uses a piece of 3/16" steel brake line. It runs from the base of the carb to the distributor. The choke line goes to a hole in the manifold to supply heat. It was covered in asbestos and is lightly pressed in. I think it was made from a piece of copper tubing.
  • Front and side view showing the plumbing.
  • One thing to consider, the casting on the carb where the fuel line fitting and vacuum fitting go are going to be pipe thread. Are you able to get pipe threaded hose barbs to accept rubber fuel and vacuum line? The fuel pump casting will be pipe thread as well. Other wise the steel lines that go into the fittings are flare fittings. Hope that makes sense. 
  • All but the choke is ready. I will have to find a solution for that. Thanks guys, especially the pictures of @cchancel helped me figure things out :smile:
  • Nice battery filler. Is it actually plumbed in to the battery?
  • No, the battery tender is not plumbed in. 

It would be slightly insane to do so because the potential for acid damage in the engine bay is high when it is used.  I have heard of them used as washing fluid reservoirs.

I just run the lines next to the battery and explain what it was supposed to do if anyone asks.