Optional Hudson Hood ornament

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
edited November 2020 in HUDSON
I’ve not been able to find a 1937 Hudson hood ornament, badge or base in well over 15 years.  So it’s time to start thinking about another option for a hood ornament, badge & base plus center chrome strip for my 37 Hudson.  

Therefore, I am looking for suggestions On other makes which may work unless someone is willing to share some of their stash of parts & help a brother out!

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    These guys can probably help. Not cheap though.
    http://hv3dworks.com
  • BigSky
    Well as we know Hudson’s are not high dollar cars.  While there maybe options, I haven’t a desire to spend $1000 - $2,000 or more on an ornament.  Thanks, but I’m looking for a realistic option here.  
  • BigSky
    She can’t stay naked, it’s not pretty so here are some ebay options.....  
    Some good, bad & ugly!

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited November 2020
    You have absolutely nothing of the original -- not even the pot metal base?

If you could find the Terraplane "carrot"-style ornament, could you conceive of using that as a place-holder until the real thing comes along?  (Not that I have one to offer...LOL!)
  • PM sent.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    When you buy a car its important to make sure its 100% complete. Cars never are, as with time you find something is always missing or needs replacing. I have built up a collection of spares by advertising and travelling interstate to wreck a wrecked car for precious little and going to swap meets. This way I have parts to swap, sometimes the only way to get that missing part. Some people also stand up and make or get made a few unobtainable parts. Eshelmans make the Terra carrots. Others will lend or help get missing parts cast. OK sometimes it does cost a little more than we like, and we have to decide if we stay original. If I was still single I would love one of your lady mascots. Sometimes we have to work with whats available ie broken parts. ozhudsonatgmail.com
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    When you buy a car its important to make sure its 100% complete. Cars never are, as with time you find something is always missing or needs replacing. I have built up a collection of spares by advertising and travelling interstate to wreck a wrecked car for precious little and going to swap meets. This way I have parts to swap, sometimes the only way to get that missing part. Some people also stand up and make or get made a few unobtainable parts. Eshelmans make the Terra carrots. Others will lend or help get missing parts cast. OK sometimes it does cost a little more than we like, and we have to decide if we stay original. If I was still single I would love one of your lady mascots. Sometimes we have to work with whats available ie broken parts. ozhudsonatgmail.com
    Has anyone solved the problem of the 1934 windshield clamp that doesn't work properly ?
    According to the owners' handbook, it's supposed to lock open in one of 3 positions.

Mine opens and shuts OK but won't lock open and I can't see a way of dismantling the darn thing to see what's wrong.

I'm loathe to do anything drastic in case I mess it up totally - maybe I should just leave well enough alone ?

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    How about this: talk to the club technical advisor (if there is one for 37H), or go through the club roster (cannot count on contact through this forum) and find 37H owners - if they have the car, they should want a spare hood ornament.  Get as many as you can to go in together and have reproductions made - lower the cost for all by volume.  Everything is doable for a price.

I think it's time for us to realize that $1,000 or $2,000 is a reasonable option... it's an 83-year-old car, for heaven's sake.  In SEP 2018 you were ready to get some made after Jon B told you they were made from "unobtanium" - what happened?  Things cost money (more and more as time goes by) and nobody is giving up their spares.  It looks like a lot of work went into the car already - wouldn't it be worth $2,000 to get a hood ornament for a car you've been working on for at least 17 years?

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I have four 1936 carrots for sale on FB. I have had over 700 R rated replies asking if lube and gel are included with the cigars. My comets are still not sold. I though there would be plenty of 36H owners wanting a zeppelin.
    Re the 37H carrot holder, to cast and chrome would be approx $200Aust but its the time to sand smooth after casting that is the killer. I think the Eshelmans carrots are around $200 so carrot and holder is well less than 1to 2K unless more of the chrome trim is reqd. It would be good if our technical advisers all had email addresses. 
  • Think I would at least put Chrome tape over the total center piece. I 'chromed' my painted LEXUS grill with the tape 10 years ago after they went to grey paint. Go to your Auto Store in your town.
    Surely you shouldn't have screw holes showing for all these years.  With the tape, about 98% don't know the difference anyway.
    Goodness, $5.00 for tape and $2000. for correct chromed godness; go FIGURE!!!!!!!!
    Hard for me to believe ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    $2000 for a good ornament? That seems unrealistic to me! It’s a Terraplane, not an Italia. I do my absolute best to keep my cars stock but wouldn’t pay 2K for anything that is missing on my ‘39 112 or my convertible. I know we fix these cars up out of the love of the car but we need to be careful not to enter into the rabbit hole of being buried in the car- especially since the prices are declining..
  • BigSky
    7X is 100% correct!  Even $1,000 is an insane amount of money to spend on a hood ornament for a Hudson.  Now if the pearly gates are coming into clear focus for ya, sure, go ahead & blow a bunch of money on a hood ornament If it makes you happy because you can’t take it with you.  With two kids just starting college that’s not an option for me.

If there are going to be future owners of these cars there has to be a reason for someone to buy them.  Just because my 37 Hudson series 73 is supposed to be one of only 3 left in existence doesn’t mean it’s worth Hemi Cuda money.  My neighbors old 21 window VW van valued at $100k is utterly stupid to me but I guarantee that big VW badge on the front doesn’t cost $2,000.  

The only thing a $1,000 or $2,000 dollar hood ornament is going to do is stop people from restoring a Hudson.  Younger generations are going to look at a Hudson without blind love for it & see that parts are expensive, unobtainable and that they’d lose money hand & fist unless they have all the skills, time and a place to do the work themselves.  How many people have mechanical & body skills these days?  

While I love the uniqueness of my 37 Hudson coupe, I can honestly say I hate it just as much.  Why? because of the oddities that make everything a frustrating challenge.  What should be a simple enjoyable project becomes a time consuming frustrating challenge because of the lack of parts and disappearing knowledge.  I know the parts I need to finish my coupe are hoarded away by Hudson owners across the country but as it looks now the only way to finish my coupe will be to find another good restorable 37 & strip it apart to do so.  Down the rabbit hole I would go!
  •  I would seriously consider the peel and stick chrome that the Auto Zone/O'Reillys type stores sell, and don't put an ornament on it at all... A streamlined, mild custom look, that is clean and still very recognizable for what it is. Then, if you find the parts somewhere down the road, you can put them on.

For me, I like the fact that Hudsons are odd, and not as easy to find parts for. Any idiot can order all the parts from a catalog to build a brand new steel 32 ford, and they will have the same car as 100,00 other guys (just a different colored jelly bean). I'm a family guy too, and it takes me years to build a car, because that's the only way I can afford to do it... a little at a time, and do as much as I can myself, even if I have to learn new skills in the process.

This opinion and $5.00 might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

• Old Fogey UK
    54coupe said:
     I would seriously consider the peel and stick chrome that the Auto Zone/O'Reillys type stores sell, and don't put an ornament on it at all... A streamlined, mild custom look, that is clean and still very recognizable for what it is. Then, if you find the parts somewhere down the road, you can put them on.

For me, I like the fact that Hudsons are odd, and not as easy to find parts for. Any idiot can order all the parts from a catalog to build a brand new steel 32 ford, and they will have the same car as 100,00 other guys (just a different colored jelly bean). I'm a family guy too, and it takes me years to build a car, because that's the only way I can afford to do it... a little at a time, and do as much as I can myself, even if I have to learn new skills in the process.

This opinion and $5.00 might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I agree, but still people come up to me at car shows and say - "that's a Ford, isn't it ?".
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Another optional hood ornament....

• Ha ha you know of course that "people of wealth and distinction' would never have settled for a standard mascot... They'd say 'what tosh, a common begger can have that common mascot'  Nobody with class would have a flying lady on their rolls Royce... It would be replaced by their family mascot... When in doubt have a look at both the Queen of England and Prince of Wales cars all sport their family mascot thank you very much... Recently Lord Carnarvon (owner of the hyclaire castle.. Home used for the series Downton Abby has a 1936 rolls Royce sporting the family mascot....

If I was you I'd find your own unique 'family mascot" and enjoy the car uniquely quirky look... What what (putting my English voice to rest) cheers ken
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    BigSky said:
    Well as we know Hudson’s are not high dollar cars.  While there maybe options, I haven’t a desire to spend $1000 - $2,000 or more on an ornament.  Thanks, but I’m looking for a realistic option here.  
    Are those figures from HV3D?  Over on the Terraplane Seven FB page people are buying HV3D's stainless 33 Terra tail light housings for around $500.
  • Old Fogey UK
    You can get repros of fabulous Lalique mascots from the Czech Republic. 
    Although the originals sell for a fortune now - which is ironic because they were inexpensive when new - the repros aren't a bad price.

• Old Fogey UK
    BigSky -

This repro mascot might work. It's a sort of chrome adaptation of a glass Lalique mascot. I had it on my Traction Avant and it didn't foul the opening of the hood sides.

Here's a link to the webpage it's on -

https://www.renelauto.fr/capot-calandre/437-selectus-11-bl-chrome.html

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    I don't think anybody has established that reproduction 37H ornament would be $1,000 or $2,000, but certainly would not be surprising.  People; inflation marches on - $100 when I was born in the mid-1950s is now $1,000!!  The guys who do the reproduction work need to make a living too.

For crying out loud! ...the value of the cars does not enter into the consideration at all.  If valuable, money-making cars are what you want, why are you messing with Hudsons?  I have it because it is different from the run-of-the-mill.  You mess with Hudsons for the love of them - not for the value.  I think I have the finest $25,000 or $30,000 car that $60,000 can buy (over 47 years; repaints, engine rebuilds etc.)... but I'm not sure, since there was really no point in keeping track.

I do appreciate that individual circumstances drive certain choices and maybe right now it not the time to spend $2,000 on a hood ornament.  But, to say that $2,000 on a hood ornament is crazy, I say is crazy.  That piece on most of these 30s cars is vital to their looks.  It is unimaginable that that much work would go into something and I would balk at $1K or $2K to bring it to completion.  I still say getting 35H owners to pool resources is the way to go.
    To each their own.

• 7XPacemaker
    I have been working on and been around Hudson’s all of my life. I do enjoy them but if you are saying that I should buy a $1000 hood ornament for my $4500 car, I say that the white jacket with interlocking arms is yours- or mine if I spent that amount on an ornament!
     Seriously, if someone wants to spend that amount on their car because they want to , that is there business. Most Hudson owners have these cars because it is reasonable financially to own them. If that is no longer the case, we Hudson owners are in real trouble..
  • BigSky
    Hey dholck, Since spending $2,000 on a hood ornament isn’t a big deal & this is all for the love of Hudson’s..... How about you send me $1,000 or $1,500 to kick off my “Hood Ornament Go Fund Me” program!

(My mailing address is in the Hudson directory)
  • Old Fogey UK
    My advice to anyone buying a hood ornament with a four-figure price tag is don't tell your wife, or you won't live to enjoy it... :D
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    My advice is simple if you do not like what it cost to have some fun enjoying something from the past sell it and get out I could buy a house for what I have in my Hudson and I am not done yet and my wife just ask me each week if I have any parts comming that she should watch for one thing is for sure the first day I turn that key and we go for our first ride there will not be enough money in the world that could make me that Happy so to all you guys out there that thing like me HAPPY MOTERRING.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Rocket said:
    My advice is simple if you do not like what it cost to have some fun enjoying something from the past sell it and get out I could buy a house for what I have in my Hudson and I am not done yet and my wife just ask me each week if I have any parts comming that she should watch for one thing is for sure the first day I turn that key and we go for our first ride there will not be enough money in the world that could make me that Happy so to all you guys out there that thing like me HAPPY MOTERRING.
    Well, I suppose I'm still here - even after all I've spent ... :D
  • 7XPacemaker
    I am going to politely bow out of this crazy post..
  • BigSky
    I was thinging....  well actually I was thinking how uptight just talking about a hood ornament can make people, I can’t wait to see what fireworks will be lit when someone brings up converting to a 12 volt battery or deciding to hot rod their Hudson engine!  

So with the famous song from Monty Python I shall wish all to “look on the bright side”... that we are still above ground to enjoy our Hudson’s!

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Hey - everybody is relaxed and happy - not uptight. :)   Don't you realize that old guys like to gripe and futz?  It is the most favorite pastime of the old guy blowhard - nothing to be excited about.  We're just having fun here.   What to take away is not any contentious feelings, but how interesting the different viewpoints are. 
    Some are the prototypical stalwart, frugal, Hudson guys who believe in fiscal responsibility and practical spending (no $1,000 hood ornament on a $4,500 car) - others are guys who look at an 80-some year old orphan car and think it is worth stretching the budget beyond what is practical to make her pretty and complete again ($2,000 hood ornament on a 37H ...which is not a low-value car).  In the end - every person should do, and will do, whatever they want to do.

BigSky; you being a stalwart, frugal, Husonite, I would not insult you by offering any charity.  Plus, I don't know that anybody has made an effort to establish what it would cost - as many 37H owners as possible get together- maybe they are only $500 in quantity.  Need to find somebody who has one to see what the base duplication options are.  Places like Tap Plastics can make the plastic pieces.

If people don't like old guys futzing back and forth, maybe you should put "Boomers need not respond" on your post.  :)  
  • BigSky
    Hey, I resemble that statement!  The frugal, not the bloomers! ?

Glad we are just having fun & there are no hard feelings.  Especially since your wrong but I’m ok with you being wrong!  Hahaha!   

Ok on a serious note, I think your idea is a good one, to see how many may be interested in a reproduction hood ornament base &/or wing & looking at reproduction options.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    As the woman said to her husband, "Just because you finally agree that I'm right and you're wrong, doesn't, mean the argument's over"