Decoding VIN 2017742

I am looking for any and all information about this VIN 2017742. So far I have found that is for a Series 20C Business Cars, or 20T Travelers Six or 20P Deluxe Six. The vehicle appears to be a 3 passenger coupe with bench front seat and no back seating, possibly a salesman model. I would appreciate ant and all information you can provide about this vehicle.

Comments

• This one looks familiar. Wasn't this up for sale recently? Are you the new owner?
  • You've decoded it already. The first two digits are the model. The rest is just where it fits in the production sequence.
  • Could the third digit be a T? I think it should be either a T or a P to designate Traveler or Deluxe.
  • superwasp said:
    This one looks familiar. Wasn't this up for sale recently? Are you the new owner?
    It was, but was told buyer traded it back on more expensive car. 
  • You should also be able to see the same number stamped on the top of the frame rail. If you open the hood and stand on the passenger side, look between the front body mount and the upper control arm, that same number should be stamped there. There is one on the engine too, on top of the block between the #1 and #2 exhaust ports.
  • 54coupe said:
    You've decoded it already. The first two digits are the model. The rest is just where it fits in the production sequence.
    Thank you for taking your time to help.
  • 54coupe said:
    Could the third digit be a T? I think it should be either a T or a P to designate Traveler or Deluxe.
    I am sure it's number1. Thank you for your help, I understand why you made that suggestion. In my research so far I found VIN decoder listing for 1942 Hudson 20T Traveler Six, 20P Deluxe Six and 20C Business Cars. However I know not all information on the web is accurate. 
  • No doubt, that is a 1.
  • Is that a T next to the rivet on the left hand side?
  • 54coupe said:
    Is that a T next to the rivet on the left hand side?

Great eye, that is a T next to the rivet!!!! THANK YOU for sharing
  • that’s not a factory Hudson Vin tag is it not ?
  • that’s not a factory Hudson Vin tag is it not ?

Paul, I have only seen the picture, but it is in the correct location and I believe that it is Hudson VIN plate. I also have a photo of the same number stamped on the engine.

Anyone who knows more about Hudson VIN numbers and location I would welcome your opinion.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited November 2020
    Here's what the original serial number plate would have looked like.  It is mounted on the A pillar on the passenger's side.   The "T" stamped on the left side of your plate, obviously identifies your car as the "Traveler" version of model 20 (1942).  In fact, if you take a close look, it's probable that your car's plate is the original one, but at some point someone removed the printing ("SERIAL NO.") from your plate with lacquer thinner, possibly when re-painting the car.  This left only the stamped number.  In the original plate design, the actual serial number appears in the printed "box" at the right of the plate, and the "T" appears in the smaller "box" to the left.  The same position that the stamped numbers occupy on your (unprinted) plate.

You may procure a reproduction blank number plate from the Club Store for $5 (I believe that is a member's price):

What further questions do you have, which have not yet been answered?
  • Jon B said:
    Here's what the original serial number plate would have looked like.  It is mounted on the A pillar on the passenger's side.   The "T" stamped on the left side of your plate, obviously identifies your car as the "Traveler" version of model 20 (1942).  In fact, if you take a close look, it's probable that your car's plate is the original one, but at some point someone removed the printing ("SERIAL NO.") from your plate with lacquer thinner, possibly when re-painting the car.  This left only the stamped number.  In the original plate design, the actual serial number appears in the printed "box" at the right of the plate, and the "T" appears in the smaller "box" to the left.  The same position that the stamped numbers occupy on your (unprinted) plate.

You may procure a reproduction blank number plate from the Club Store for $5 (I believe that is a member's price):

Jon B said:

Thank you Jon, for that information. it does appear that the painted part wore off. The number is stamped on the block. When I get the car I will look for the number on the frame.

• Thank you to everyone for all your help and information. I have purchased the vehicle and will be joining the club! I really hope that some day I will be able to attend a club meet, with my 1942 Hudson Six Traveler. I have written an article for the club magazine will send it to them once I am a member. Now all I need is a Persian Rug for my garage so my Hudson will have a great place to rest. 

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the Club!  Remember, we have local chapters as well, in which membership is optional.  It's always good to have contacts with local Hudsonites whenever you need parts, references to local automotive service, or technical advice.