6 Volt Alternators

So, here's a question for those of you who have installed one-wire alternators, but stuck with 6 volts. How have you dealt with the charge light on the dash? The solutions I've seen for one-wire alternators with Amp lights are for negative ground systems. I'm curious if anyone has been able to convert to one-wire 6 volt and retain the Amp light. I know a volt meter is probably a better indicator, but just curious.

Comments

• Use a 2 wire, 1 terminal goes to the dash light the other goes to batt. very easy, forget the i wire alt. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Agree with tombia.
  • Oh, like a 2 wire 10SI? Ok. I was wondering if I was over thinking it.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You can use a relay and a zener diode.   The gen light is activated by the ignition switch through n/c points, and the relay coil is activated by a 7.2v zener.   When you turn the switch on the light will glow, and when the alternator gets up to 7.2 volts the relay will energize and open the circuit.   
  • More importantly does your overdrive work if fitted. Connected mene to hot side of starter solenoid as recommended but not working.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It should work whether connected to the alternator, or the hot terminal of the solenoid.   Circuit is from Batt. to o/d coil, to govenor, which provides ground. 
  • Hi Geoff
    The master from across the ditch. Would running a petronix ignition module affect this?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Not sure if the kick-down would function with a Pertronix, I have no experience with these.
  • Worked well before alternator installed. Will have a play around over weekend. 
    Cheers
  • Geoff this is how unit is wired in.
    Cheers

Steven