stepdown tool set

Has anyone ever seen or have, for that matter , a Hudson tool set that came with the purchase of a new stepdown from 48-50?     I have never seen one and would like to know what exactly came with it.

Comments

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    Hey Lance, maybe the tool kit consists of just one tire iron and one jack. ha ha ha

I have not seen any actual tool kits in any of my cars.
  • I think they had a monkey wrench a pair of pliers and a slotted  screwdriver. You know, tools you can really use. LOL     No vice grips combination wrenches or anything you can actually make use of.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited October 2020
    I've never seen or heard of a stepdown or for that matter any Hudson auto specific tool kit that came with the purchase of a new car other than, as schillaz points out, the jack and lung nut wrench and I'll add that tool with the triangle opening for removing the hub cap on teens and 1920s era Hudsons.  I guess stores like Sears and Western Auto is where you had go to purchase your new tools to maintain your new "stepdown."   
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Lance,  My uncle's new 1947 had the tools you describe. Never looked at the jack to see if it was different from stepdown.  Have seen the  burlap bag with jack and small bag with jack base and front license plate mounting bracket from a new 1950.
  • Yeah Ric I was just curious .  How many tool kits were supplied with new Hudsons yet how many are still around?   Did they only come with Commodores ?   Did Supers get any tools?     Just curious. I knew about the burlap bag you mentioned . Just wonder how many of them survived. Not many I'm betting.
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited October 2020
    https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/169955/hudson-tool-kits#latest

Lance, look at this discussion and there is a photo of someone's original tool kit for a 39. I don't know if the step down kit was like this but I cant imagine it would be much different if at all
  • Vic, Very likely you are correct. Just enough tools to round off bolt heads .
  • railknight
    edited October 2020
    I wasn't aware that any type of automotive hand tools were included with Hudsons.  I gather these tools were for pre-stepdown Hudsons.  Were these tools made by any particular tool manufacturer?  
  • Actually Hudson supplied a tool kit up to the 1950 model. As to who made the tools...?...
  • Val
    Val Member
    For 1939 my owners manual states " A tool kit is supplied with each Hudson car. It contains several wrenches, hammer, screwdriver, spark plug wrench, jack base, jack and wheel hub bolt wrench. The wheel hub bolt wrench can be used as the jack screw operating wrench" .     
  • railknight
    edited October 2020
    I have a 1950 Hudson owner manual and I checked it out and sure enough there was indeed a tool kit supplied with the car.  It states under TOOL KIT:  "The tool kit is stored in the rear compartment.  It contains a wheel hub bolt wrench (which is also used as a jack handle), pliers, screw driver and a ratchet-type bumper jack and base."  Not much in the way of tools beyond the tire changing jack, but it'd be interesting to see the types and make(s) of wrenches, pliers, spark plug wrench, etc., that Hudson used in these tool kits.  Anyone out there have a complete tool kit with the box or bag that actually came with their Hudson?
  • Val
    Val Member
    I was told the tool kits for 1939 came in a leather roll. Seems like the 1950 kit was less equipped. I guess as the cars became more advanced there wasn't a need. railnight is you look at the discussion link I posted you will see a kit for 39 plus what looks to be a grease gun. 
  • railknight
    Hey, thanks Val, for directing me back to that discussion link with the photo of the tool kit.  I overlooked that photo of the tools laid out.  Nice old set.  I can agree with Lance on "just enough tools to round off bolt heads."  I could only identify the make of one tool.  That's the adjustable wrench stamped Abingdon.  That's a tool manufacturer that was or still is in the U.K.