1929 super six

2»

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Slim chance , but possible your exhaust could be restricted.
    Is it easy to disconnect the pipe at manifold?
    Still sounds like a carb problem.
  • Do not despair.
     You now can rule out a jumped timing chain.
    Did you clean the carbon fouled plugs and notice any improvement.
    plugs were the culprit when my 1929 had the same issue.
     You might just have an oil control issue.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Okay, try a different tack.   Remove the vacuum line.   If the plugs are sooted it indicates too rich a mixture.  Connect a separate container of fuel to the carburettor and see if it runs okay.  This will eliminate any problem with the vacuum tank. 
  • I have the top of vacuum tank off and fill it manually. I'm thinking that when shop installed electric fuel pump they said they couldn't make it work, pressure was too high. that may have caused the plugs to foul. that's when vehicle came back and would only idle. 
  • Do you have fuel filter b/t the vac tank and carb?  The smallest piece of grit will plug the idle meter jet...I had the exact same issue when I was working on the vac tank and fuel pump.  Is the electric pump still installed?  Do you have a pressure regulator installed?  ( less than 1/2psi is all that is needed) The vacuum may be to low to pull the fuel thru an inoperable pump.  It seems to me everything has been ruled out except a stuck air valve or plugged jet...as you said. “Back to square one...”
  • If the plugs are both sooty and dry after cranking it full choke, then your jets are probably clogged again. If they are wet, then clean and regap them, it only costs a little time. If that solves it, get a spare set on hand. 
  • I just purchased a carb overhaul kit from the carburetor shop. the replacement float is much larger in size than the cork original. Is there anyone here that has replaced the float with the one from the carb shop, if so can I get some advice on installing it and adjusting it to function correctly. Thanks Tony, Ossipee, NH.
  • According to my Marvel chart your float should have 5/16” freeboard clearance top of float to top of bowl.  Do not sharply bend the float lever, they can break.    I took a couple shots of the data sheets with years and part numbers, I hope it isn’t too hard to read.

What were all of the parts The Carb Shop included with the kits?  I have been thinking about ordering a kit for my ‘30 VE, just haven’t got one of them “Round to It’s “ yet.  

I hope this helps...

And on a side note...To all of you Veterans out there...Thank you for your service to the country.
  • GumpY159 said:
    According to my Marvel chart your float should have 5/16” freeboard clearance top of float to top of bowl.  Do not sharply bend the float lever, they can break.    I took a couple shots of the data sheets with years and part numbers, I hope it isn’t too hard to read.

What were all of the parts The Carb Shop included with the kits?  I have been thinking about ordering a kit for my ‘30 VE, just haven’t got one of them “Round to It’s “ yet.  

I hope this helps...

And on a side note...To all of you Veterans out there...Thank you for your service to the country.
    I received mine for 1929. They are quite thorough and very complete. It’s definitely worth the $307.00, shipped. I don’t know if they retained the air mixture spring in 1930, but it is included in the 29 kit. There’s a photo of the kit in a recent post on my 70 year maintenance thread.
  • Thank you for your help, so do I use a razor blade and shave the replacement one to match the size and shape of the cork one. Thank you, Tony Ossipee, NH.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    The 1929 Essex uses an air valve spring that is 1 1/2 inches long.
    Not all 1929 air valve springs have the expanded bellowes shape in the center of the spring.

Essex for 1930, 31,32 and Hudson 6 use a spring that is 1 1/8 inch long.

• As long as the  float can move freely, l would leave it alone.  The ability of the needle to seat correctly and the top of bowl fuel level matter more.  
  • I have seen cork floats from 29 Hudsons that were all shriveled up and look like a walnut.
  • Can anyone tell me what the difference is Between a 1929 Essex super six and a 1932 Essex super six engine and transmission?  will the 32 engine  and trans fit and work in my 1929 Essex?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It is not a direct fit, but there are few interchangeable parts.   The engine mounts are likely different, but the dimensions should be similar.  1932 used an entirely different transmission, but with a bit of fiddling there is no reason why you could not make a go of it.   
  • Thank you for your help, so do I use a razor blade and shave the replacement one to match the size and shape of the cork one. Thank you, Tony Ossipee, NH.

Sorry, I haven’t checked in recently. They are a direct replacement. It only takes a minute to bolt up the new float.
  • Hello Geoff do yo have a source for interior door latch handle for a 29 Essex? And a steering wheel throttle lever made of Bakelite? And last but not least will a marvel 3 jet carb from a 32 Essex work in place of the marvel 2 jet that my 29 came with? Thanks Tony Silva Ossipee, NH. USA
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, I can get you a new interior door handle made, but not the throttle lever.  Probably you could get one 3d printed.    No, the  carburettors are quite different in construction and size.  
  • Geoff can I e mail you a picture because the carburetor looks to be mounted on a 29 riser with the 4 bolt manifold. what would the cost be to make a door handle? I have the pine cone theme. Thanks Tony Silva.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If the carb has already been modified to fit than it should work fine.  have emailed you details of handle.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    supersixer,  can  you post a picture here of your carb and manifold?

the four bolts sounds like a '3o and later manifold. 
  • I thought a 29 and 30 were the same
  • Looks like what I have but my carb is a 2 jet it’s hard to tell by pics was told that it’s a 29 riser with a 3 jet marvel carb Geoff says it’s bigger and will not fit he would know if anyone does et  jet 
  • This riser I was told is off a 32 by what the owner told me
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    29, 30, 31 and '32 are all different.   The difference is in  every detail, throat size, jet size, venturi size and intake flange size.  You may be able to adapt a carburettor body to a different hot box, but I have never tried it. 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    This is a 1030  and 1931  type manifold.
    If this fits your engine, you do not have a 1929 engine.

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    This looks like a 1932 Essex manifold.  Later down draft manifolds can be used, same  gaskets.  The carb that fits this is two large, without an adaptor.  
    /
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    show picture of engine without carb manifold installed.
    Round intake hole is a 1929
    Oblong hole is 1930 and 1931
  • What is the carb model number on the top bowl plate?  The 30 should be a VE with 2 jets and the carb outflow is round and the intake manifold is rectangular and 3 bolt to the heat riser on the exhaust manifold.  From the pics the piece with the tag appears to be a 30.  Unsure of the one with the square pipe plug in it...too many bolt holes for a 30.