1927 Essex boat tail

This car is sort of a hot rod.  Jet motor in a 1927 Series I Essex boat tail.  This gentlemen drives this car on rallies and tours.  It had a straight pipe exhaust and he wanted to have a resonator that looked like a factory muffler so he would have that throaty sounding motor without it being just loud, as it was before.  ...It sounded really good after it was installed.

Comments

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor

Just for fun I took a picture or two of the car too.  My dog got in the last shot, not sure which is prettier. :)

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    A New Zealand version
  • bent metal

This is the boat tail my Dad got some years ago.  It's a 1927 Essex, Series I boat tail.  I trailered it from San Fran to So Cal.  My boy Sean coming over to check it out.  Always an exciting time when we get a new Hudson in the family. :)

• bent metal

The plan was for me to take the body apart and fix everything.  Dad was to restore the running gear and chassis.

• bent metal

The car at my house to start the sheet metal repair.  Sean got right to it with some sand paper and cleaning her up.

• bent metal

Disassembly and evaluation of what we got.  The body is nailed to a wooden frame work.  It looked like the factory made no effort to prime or paint the sheet metal before nailing anything down.  The entire perimeter around the bottom, front to back, was rusted out.  I imagine from the wood absorbing moisture and rusting the sheet metal from the inside.

• bent metal

Rust repair.  Stuff that could be fixed was fixed.  Stuff that was too far gone was remade.

• bent metal

B-pillar stanchions.  More pics of the rear floor.

• bent metal
    More rust.  The cowl was rusted out an inch or two up.
  • bent metal

The back was rusted out about three or four inches up, all the way around.  Also some other areas that were in need of repair.

Can anyone tell me how to post the pictures in order?

• bent metal

Trim pieces on the tail were bad too.

• bent metal

Fenders on the rear were unique in the way they bolted to the rear floor.  It looked like an altered sedan or coupe fender, with the inside panel of the fender being different.  Repairs here and there and all over the place, new splash aprons, blah, blah, blah.

• bent metal

Doors rusted out across the bottom.

• bent metal

An interesting find on the hood.  Under the latch handle was a good example of the original color.  Which turns out is very close to John Deere green.  Not exactly, but it's a good start in getting the color right.  Needs a little more blue, less yellow, but on the right track.

• bent metal
    Front fender.
  • bent metal

Odd and ends that you don't really think about, all have to be fixed.

• bent metal

These pieces go below the doors and under the side of the body, just behind the doors.

• bent metal

Every now and then, it's good to take a step back and look.  Make sure it all looks right.

• Beautiful work!
  • Envious.....that's some really nice work!
  • Wow! Great work as always!
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Truly awe-inspiring craftsmanship