Left rear wheel lock up

Nevada Hudson
Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor

Was pushing my Jetliner into my new garage, and had the hydramatic in neutral, brakes off. ( no brakes at all until I install new master cylinder)  Parking brake off too. Everything was going fine, and no issues pushing the car. All of a sudden the left rear wheel locked up and would not budge. Needless to say, I had to drag the car to the garage with my truck.

Now what could have caused this and what should the remedy be?

Thanks,

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited September 2020
    UPDATE - Ignore this post and read the correct procedure below, Thanks Geoff!
    Probably a leaky wheel cylinder, use a brake adjusting tool to back-off the brake shoes to see if that lets it roll free.  The access hole is at the bottom of the backing plate it may have a metal or rubber plug, or no plug at all.

Hope this helps.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Sorry, but the Jet brakes are different, and have adjusting eccentrics for each shoe.  Loosen the lock nut and turn the pegs.   To find out which way, turn until the peg will not go any further round, and then back off.  I have had a similar problem usually when  it is very humid for some reason, the  bottom of the rear shoe contacts the drum and wedges itself into the  cylinder.   Pushing backwards will usually free it up.   File a chamfer on the bottom edge of the  rear shoe to stop this.  Of course it could be a leaky wheel cylinder and the lining is gunked up.
  • Nevada Hudson
    edited October 2020
    B) Geoff, thanks will try that and keep you posted.
  • B) Geoff, thanks will try that and keep you posted.
    I’m glad you asked that question too!
    The trailing edges of the front brakes on my 1952 Plymouth have always done that. I’m going to give Geoff’s suggestion a try. 
  • Nevada Hudson
    Car hasn't been registered since 1961. Assume that brake shoes are asbestos. Any extra precautions to use?
  • Once you get the drums off, take your garden hose and rinse and the dirt and brake dust away, this will keep it less airborne so you won’t breathe it.