"Snap-On Tools" Hudson drain plug 11/16 magnetic socket.

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser
edited October 2020 in HUDSON
Found this on eBay for sale, "Buy it now."  It's a special 1/2" drive 11/16 magnetic socket that Snap-On made for a few years in the early to mid 1950s for removing the Hudson clutch fluid drain plug.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Snap-On-S9103-11-16-Magnetic-1-2-drive-socket/264864525824?hash=item3dab27ee00:g:PacAAOSwJJ

Comments

• railknight
    edited October 2020
    Here's a page from the 1955 Snap-On catalog that has the Hudson 11/16 magnetic socket (item "K").  http://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalogs/catalogs.php?loggedin=0&catalogPage=1413
  • It has already sold.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    There are others available you just need to type in 11/16 magnetic socket, also a a cheaper price!
  • railknight
    edited October 2020
    Yep, it's been gone since yesterday.  Still, I though I'd show one of the 1950s "Snap On Tools" catalogs that had this Hudson specific specialty tool in it.  
  • railknight
    edited February 2021
    Here's another Snap-on vintage 1953, S9103 magnetic socket for sale on eBay:  Snap-On S9103 11/16" Magnetic 1/2" drive socket for Clutch drain plugs | eBay
  • oldcarnut
    oldcarnut Expert Adviser
    I have a pair of S K sockets ordered by the Navy for use on Invader engines. They have two holes drilled opposite each other and a small ball bearing in each hole. The sockets are the banded with a spring steel band. I was told the clutch drain plugs had a dimple drilled in each flat for the bearings to grip the plug. They were given to me by a former Navy mechanic on PT boats in WW2.
    Chuck
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I like the idea of a magnetic socket for the clutch plugs but 1/2” drive!  I don’t know what you guys use to remove the plugs but even my smallest 3/8” socket wrench head feels way too big.  I can’t imagine trying to get a 1/2 drive socket wrench down there.