Confession Time

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser

:s:s:s  

To everyone who has been helpful with advice on the mystery of my oil and ignition warning lights, the electrician has been here today and sorted it.

I had gotten the wires from the two lights the wrong way around and the oil light (in the generator light hole) was shorting out and giving the false impression that it was acting as a generator light.

I must have crossed them over when I took some wiring off the back of the panel to install the new speedo cable.

The moral is, if you're a lawyer don't touch anything electrical on your old car...

Comments

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Everyone has made mistakes like that! I remember the first Rhode Island wire harness that I installed. After I thought that I was finished, I applied the brakes and the headlights came on!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    To err is human...learning is the result of errors. Thanks for sharing outcome.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Very easy to do, don't feel bad about it.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Some time ago, a poster on this forum used to close off with "If it aint broke, fix it til it is" I'm sure we all understand the concept!!
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Brother Fogey, if I didn’t learn the hard way I don’t think I’d learn anything!  Hahaha!
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    My dad used to say “if your not making mistakes you not doing anything, just learn from them”. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    The electrician said I was lucky not to have had an electrical fire behind the dashboard.
    I'm glad I got him out to fix it because I'd been driving around like that for weeks.
  • So glad you didn't have a fire. That would have been bad. We all make mistakes brother so live and learn. 
  • Can you sue yourself?
  • Old Fogey UK
    stevepet said:
    Can you sue yourself?
    I could try but if I did, I could defend myself too - and as I was a judge until I retired in January, I could decide the suit in my own favour !
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    stevepet said:
    Can you sue yourself?
    I could try but if I did, I could defend myself too - and as I was a judge until I retired in January, I could decide the suit in my own favour !
    And think of the money you'd save that you could divert to the car :)