Transmission Mount

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Looking for a part number of a transmission mount that I could pick up at NAPA that would work on my 37 Hudson, with little or no modifications.

Comments

• I have researched this extensively, and I've never been able to find one. Hudson used the same one up through 54.
  • BigSky
    Anyone have specs/measurements on the original mount, such as height?  
  • I'll try and remember to measure the one I have at home for you when I get off work.
  • BigSky
    I’m still trying to get an answer on which of the two electric hand diaphragms Wildrick’s sells is the one I need for my 37 Hudson. 

They list a Drivemaster Shallow Diaphragm & a Drivemaster Large Diaphragm, but when I called they didn’t know which was for 1937.  So I’m not ordering anything until I can make one purchase & the diaphragms are the most important thing I need! 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Anyone notice that when one of us is looking for a part, it magically appears on Ebay within a couple of hours? A trans mount was just listed........
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Anyone notice that when one of us is looking for a part, it magically appears on Ebay within a couple of hours? A trans mount was just listed........
    Then will someone please put a fuel tank sender unit on eBay that will work on my 1934 ?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    You don't need ebay. Let me know when you have it, I'll give you the ins and outs. youhttps://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=112/mode=prod/prd112.htm
  • BigSky
    $142 for a Transmission mount, I don’t think so!  This is why I’m looking for something I can readily purchase from NAPA.  I have no desire to be bent over & I’d like it to be easily found locally.  I’ll be heading to NAPA this morning to see what I can find.
  • BigSky
    I picked up a few transmission mounts from NAPA, so if anyone has a height of an installed transmission mount that’s in good shape, please let me know.
  • 1-3/16 tall. The outside holes are 4-9/16 on center. The center hole needs to accommodate a 7/16 bolt. Good luck.
  • BigSky
    I removed my tranny mount & have 1.42” tall.  It looks like it’s lost a lot of height with all the rubber squished out the sides.  I’d guess it was original around 1.75” tall before installed, but that’s just a guess.

• BigSky
    54Coupe, what year is your trans mount for?  Mine is different on the bottom piece, I’m wondering if there is a difference in our applications?  In your last picture one edge of your calipers doesn’t look like it’s on the outside, am I seeing this correctly?  When I measured mine it was outside to outside of the top to bottom, just to make sure I’m on the same page with you. 

Here is the bottom side of mine:

Measuring my transmission mount:

• The caliper is measuring properly. I couldn’t hold the caliper, the mount, and take the photo. All standard trans use the same mount from 34-54.
  • I took this mount off of Press Kale’s 49 Convertible when I converted it to a modern automatic with overdrive. It had about 1000 miles on it.
  • Old Fogey UK

Aren't the original spec transmission mounts still available ?

I got mine from the ROC and last time I looked they were still listed on their website list.

Incidentally, did anyone take over K-Gap's rubber parts business ?

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I think Hagen auto parts in Puyallup Wa.rebuild transmisson mounts 253 845 7020
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Doug Wildrick ended up with many of K-Gap's moulds and is also expanding the range.

7th item down. $70
    https://www.wrphet.com/1948-54-hudson-parts/1948-54-hudson-driveline-and-suspension-parts

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    At one time then and now auto was also re vulcanizing mounts for both engine and tranny's.
    https://www.then-now-auto.com/
  • BigSky
    54Coupe, well something Is different.  The original 37 Hudson mount in my car didn’t grow by 20 thousands over time vs the one you took from your 49, but where I don’t know. 

There are a few places that will rebuild the old ones but that’s at typically a 4-6 week wait, after you send your mount into them.  Then & Now’s lists multiple mounts across the Hudson years & models.

I appreciate everyone’s help with this but I give up.... back in the car went the old trans mount. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    bob ward said:
    Doug Wildrick ended up with many of K-Gap's moulds and is also expanding the range.

7th item down. $70
    https://www.wrphet.com/1948-54-hudson-parts/1948-54-hudson-driveline-and-suspension-parts

Thanks for the info.
    Looking at the website, he has what BigSky wants.
    Unfortunately, he doesn't have the cowl vent seal I'm looking for.
  • Old Fogey UK - call Doug or send an email. They have items that don't show up in the catalogue and they also have some items that can be adapted to a different need.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK - call Doug or send an email. They have items that don't show up in the catalogue and they also have some items that can be adapted to a different need.
    Thank you - will do.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    You need to consider that the one in the car may not be the right one!
  • Rubber swells up when it has been saturated in oil for decades. Hundreds, if not thousands, of these were sold and installed on Hudson’s without issue in the last 40-50 years. Good luck To you. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Actually, the one in the car is a K Gap one but it has split. If I can't get another, I'll just super glue the two broken ends together.
  • You need to consider that the one in the car may not be the right one!
    Actually, the one in the car is a K Gap one but it has split. If I can't get another, I'll just super glue the two broken ends together.
    The one in the car is certainly NOT a K Gap mount. The one I showed three photos of, is. hundreds (at least) of them are in use today all over the world.
  • Old Fogey UK
    54coupe said:
    The one in the car is certainly NOT a K Gap mount. The one I showed three photos of, is. hundreds (at least) of them are in use today all over the world.
    I was actually talking about a cowl vent rubber gasket, not a transmission mount.
  • I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about a transmission mount.