'36 Terraplane Door Window Mechanism

Rebuilding the driver door for my '36 Terraplane Series 62 it turns out I need to replace two of the gears in the vent window roll up mechanism. I'd be interested in purchasing an entire interior mechanism if anyone has one. I attached a photo showing the assembly, and the specific gears which have lost teeth.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• rockyc
    rockyc Member
    As a followup to this post, I was able to have a new gear fabricated at a machine shop here in Tucson with a water jet machine. Had a new one made for under $15.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wow, that's incredible, Tom!  I would have guessed that it cost much more. Is there any chance that -- if someone is in similar need -- they might acquire the drawing (or is it a CAD file) for the gear, and perhaps order a gear to be made by your local machine shop?  These used disappearing vent mechanisms are impossible to find anymore, as you probably noted from the lack of a response to your 2019 appeal.) 
  • Hi Jon, Yes it turned out to be fairly straightforward. and the thing is, it's PERFECT. The machinist was able to get the pattern from 2 or 3 good gear teeth left. Took him a few minutes to draw up the CAD file, and then just a few minutes to fabricate them. The trick is to find a shop that uses a water jet cutter.  I had one traditional machine shop quote me $400, with most of that being the 'set up' fee (Yes, four hundred dollars).  Then another shop referred me to the water jet place. I would imagine that any shop in your area that has a water jet machine could do the same deal.  If not, I'd be happy to give you the name of the place here.

Tom

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    Tom would you post shop you used I need some gears for mine thanks.
  • The waterjet machining company is EmJet, 5333 E Drexel Road, Tucson (520)250-2342. Ask for Miguel.
  • rockyc
    rockyc Member
    edited September 2020
    Attached is a photo showing the old gear and the new one. The new one fits perfectly and meshes precisely with the other gears.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Tom: does the waterjet machining company have the computer patterns on file?  Can someone simply contact them and ask to have the gears made?

Also, I would advise that anyone considering having a gear made, first attempt to determine if there are others who have the same need.  If it turns out that 5 people needed these items, the machine shop might offer a discount for multiples, thus bringing down the cost per unit.  In order to determine the need for these gears, one might place notices on both Hudson forums, the Hudson Facebook page, and in the classified section of the WTN.

I myself am not in need of one of these gears, though it's nice to know that they're available, should my vent window mechanism break.  It's so nice when a new technology comes along (like water jet cutting, or 3D printing) and it can be used to make obscure Hudson parts!
  • As far as I know, they have the patterns on file. 
  • I'd been on a wild goose chase for weeks/months trying to find someplace to make them - at a reasonable cost. What at first seemed like an expensive task turned out to have a quick and easy resolution, so I ended up having a couple of them made.

There is nothing special about the original gear.  In fact I found many gears on the internet that were very close to that size, but just 'not quite'.  Waterjet machining lends itself very well to production of flat parts like that, so it seems that any local waterjet machine company should be able to create one, if you have one with a few undamaged teeth left to show them.

This may be one of those rare cases where a Hudson replacement part can be made locally without being charged an arm and a leg.

• If it would be of help to the Club, I'll contact EmJet and see what they would charge for a limited run of these parts.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2020
    No reason to put you to the trouble, unless there was someone interested in having another gear (and several extras) made.  But thank you for sharing your experience with everyone.  No doubt someone else will be inspired to do something similar, when he has encountered a similar unavailable part.
  • Rocket
    I have a tote full of these wing windows with regulators I am going to have them all gone through thanks for the name of the company I am going to call them with my needs.
  • I am in need for te vertical track between the disappearing vent and the primary window on a 34 Terraplane. I need bothe sides. I have been told these were used both Hudson and Terraplane from 1934-36. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Rocket
    I may have an extra set. Mine are for a 1936 so I am not sure they are the same as a 1934 or 1935.
  • Rocket said:
    I may have an extra set. Mine are for a 1936 so I am not sure they are the same as a 1934 or 1935.
    I am interested in buying them.you can contact me via email dhutzn2002@yahoo.com