'33 Essex Terraplane KT8 Drivers side spare mount...

Hi All, Back at it for a minute this morning and I'm feeling lucky so I thought I'd reach out on the off chance that I might succeed. I'm looking for this drivers side spare mount for my '33 Essex Terraplane KT8. I will take any and all parts associated with this mount. I have the three piece cover intact and whole, flat cover, ring and hubcap. (see pic). Please let me know if you have one or all of the pieces to the mount that you would be willing to part with, alternatively, if you have even the foggiest notion where I might hunt one down that would also be immensely helpfull. PM me if its top secret as I would like to keep it that way. You can reach me at 925-783-2112 or barefutn@pacbell.net Thanks Rob

Comments

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    All I was going to offer was pictures of one from a 34T, but presumably you are showing a picture of somebody else's in the second photo.  I have never had any luck with 1930s parts on the forum; since this piece is not seen anyway, I suggest you go to a fabricator.
    Are those 16" or 17" wheels on a 33ET?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Its straightforward but time intensive to weld up a reasonable and functional facsimile of that bracket. I was planning and preparing to make a pair of 36 brackets for myself when a pair of originals became available, that saved me quite a few hours.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    From where did they become available?  ...here, Hemmings?  That may be helpful to him.  I've never had any luck here on the forum with any 1930s stuff - even trying to give away 35H bumper guards!  Where I did find some 16" wheels was on a hot rod forum - guys who put rims on cars and have no interest in the wheels or side mount spares.
    Also, I wonder if it might make sense to simplify it - are you actually going to swing out and dismount the spare and put it on, or call for road service?  For the looks of it, one could make a simpler bracket that just hard-mounts the wheel on there, no?
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    dholck said:
    From where did they become available?  ...here, Hemmings?  That may be helpful to him.  I've never had any luck here on the forum with any 1930s stuff - even trying to give away 35H bumper guards!  Where I did find some 16" wheels was on a hot rod forum - guys who put rims on cars and have no interest in the wheels or side mount spares.
    Also, I wonder if it might make sense to simplify it - are you actually going to swing out and dismount the spare and put it on, or call for road service?  For the looks of it, one could make a simpler bracket that just hard-mounts the wheel on there, no?
    Actually the bracket is quite functional as it screws down tight along the long threaded upright rod to secure the wheel into the wheel well on the guard, as well as having a bolt through the tyre rim itself. I would not think a fixed mount could be easily made that would better this and still look unobtrusive.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    T8; the issue was not if a fixed mount would work better, but if there was something easier (cheaper) to fabricate.
    One hates to point it out maybe, but, over nearly 50 years, I've noticed that Hudson guys tend to be a "frugal lot," so always like to have a cheaper alternative.
    We've heard no more from Barefutn, so he may have already solved the problem and is not interested in our musings anyway.