Hudson Sun Visor Wanted!

Hello Everyone! I am looking to buy a sun visor for my 1951 Hudson hornet and i would really like to get some guidance. I've been looking online and cannot find them anywhere. Please help!

Comments

• They were an optional generic item supplied across all makes from the 1930s onwards. They pop up all the time on the USA ebay. You need to measure the width of roof line and confirm what type of brackets you want as there is a few types available. Once purchased you need to have it painted to match your car. I'd try and find a club member with one to take some measurements. You could also get a panel shop to make one if you have a loan one to copy. 
  • Just popped onto eBay and there is over 12+ available from $189 to New $870 Fulton sunvisior 
  • @ken1962 this is my first time ever owning a hornet so I’m learning little by little so I’m going to ask some dumb questions, sorry, but I search only “Fulton sun visor” a lot online but they say they’re for different kinds of cars, not specifically with hornets. Are their other makes of cars (like mercury) that will fit hornets too? The Chevy truck sun visors have different brackets so I’m guessing those will not work with the hornet. Also I am aware of two brackets - Hollywood (larger) and standard (smaller). Would you know if Hollywood would fit the 1951? 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited July 2020
    Look at my website... it explains the HUDSON STEPDOWN FULTON VISOR as well as the mounting brackets in detail.  The rarest visor goes on a 1954 and it takes a special mount which bolts through the roof versus clamp on.   https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/  click Accessories on the left side of the front page to access  Visor information.  IF you really want a visor... I suggest you contact Bent Metal and discuss your requirement. His contact information is in the VENDOR area of my website.  Otherwise you will be hunting for a used or New one (very rare) and paying the exorbitant ( what the market will bear) prices. 
  • @ken1962 this is my first time ever owning a hornet so I’m learning little by little so I’m going to ask some dumb questions, sorry, but I search only “Fulton sun visor” a lot online but they say they’re for different kinds of cars, not specifically with hornets. Are their other makes of cars (like mercury) that will fit hornets too? The Chevy truck sun visors have different brackets so I’m guessing those will not work with the hornet. Also I am aware of two brackets - Hollywood (larger) and standard (smaller). Would you know if Hollywood would fit the 1951?
    Are these brackets for the windshield divider?  If so I would like one for my 1951 Hollywood.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    nos visor currently on ebay. 1500.00
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    nos visor currently on ebay. 1500.00
    HOLY COW!! 1500!  I paid $500 for the last one I bought and thought I got hoodwinked, a little.  

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    J Haugo said:
    @ken1962 this is my first time ever owning a hornet so I’m learning little by little so I’m going to ask some dumb questions, sorry, but I search only “Fulton sun visor” a lot online but they say they’re for different kinds of cars, not specifically with hornets. Are their other makes of cars (like mercury) that will fit hornets too? The Chevy truck sun visors have different brackets so I’m guessing those will not work with the hornet. Also I am aware of two brackets - Hollywood (larger) and standard (smaller). Would you know if Hollywood would fit the 1951?
    Are these brackets for the windshield divider?  If so I would like one for my 1951 Hollywood.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.
    Go to my website and use BENT METALS contact information found there to send your needs to him.  He makes all the correct brackets for the Fulton visors to fit a Hudson stepdown pre 1954.  
  • longlivelance
    longlivelance Member
    edited August 2020
    Hudson visor is back up on ebay for $997. Still seems pretty expensive IMO but that's cheaper than $1500. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-53-HUDSON-FACTORY-EXTERIOR-SUN-VISOR-ORIGINAL-COMPLETE-EXCEPTIONAL-COND/193614895583

Also wondering, does anyone know which visor you would work for a 46 pickup? Did Hudson make visors for pre stepdown vehicles?
  • Hudson visor is back up on ebay for $997. Still seems pretty expensive IMO but that's cheaper than $1500. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-53-HUDSON-FACTORY-EXTERIOR-SUN-VISOR-ORIGINAL-COMPLETE-EXCEPTIONAL-COND/193614895583

Also wondering, does anyone know which visor you would work for a 46 pickup? Did Hudson make visors for pre stepdown vehicles?
    I had a stepdown one when I had my 46 pichup back in the 70's, but I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the cab to mount it, since trucks didn't have rain gutters.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I have one. Let me see if I have all of the brackets. I won’t be asking $1000... give me a little time..
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

Is there any specific information out there that would help find a visor fitting  46/47. All info and leads appreciated.

Kim

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Any Fulton visor I have ever seen is a big bulky looking thing.  The step down Hudson visor was made by "Karvisor" and look right on a step down Hudson.  I do make them from time to time when work gets slow.  No plans to make any visors right now.  But I do have the mounting brackets in stock, later long brackets.  Which are the ones you want.  The early brackets don't let enough air through.  Also, I make them in steel.  You can find originals in aluminum and steel.  But the aluminum ones bend and dent too easy. 
  • bcmcintosh
    bcmcintosh Expert Adviser
    I do make them from time to time when work gets slow.  No plans to make any visors right now.  But I do have the mounting brackets in stock, later long brackets.  Which are the ones you want.  The early brackets don't let enough air through.  Also, I make them in steel.  You can find originals in aluminum and steel.  But the aluminum ones bend and dent too easy. 
    Out of curiosity, do you need a minimum order to get set up, or keep a list of people interested when you do make them?

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    I keep a list.  I have a little file card holder.   When someone asks to be put on the list, I take down their name, number, and what they want.  Then I put that card at the back of the box.  When I get time I pull a card from the front and if that person still wants said part, then I make it.  If not, I go to the next card. 
  • @bent metal , I found this forum in searching for the sun visor brackets for my 51 Hudson, By any chance do you still sell them . If so please let me know,

p.s. I’m new in this forum