Replacing rear seat cushion

I’m doing something wrong....can’t seem to get rear bottom cushion to sit in right.
This picture shows a space I don’t remember on the side of the seat that seems like it shouldn’t be there. I could slip my hand through the space...
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Comments

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    It looks to me that you have a rear seat for a coupe or 2 door brougham.  4 door sedan should cover the sill plate.
  • Interesting, makes sense since it doesn’t look like the way the factory would’ve made it, however I was under the impression this is a 45k original car.
    I’m old enough to know people can have different definitions of original! 
    Does anyone else agree this is not a 4door Super sedan seat?
    Does anyone have a pic of what it should look like?
    Thanks
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Do you have the front and back cushions mixed up?
  • Not that I know of, the one I show in the picture has no tunnel curve at the front, just at the back.
    The front cushion has the trans hump curves in its spring frame in the front and the back.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Not sure what year your car is, but on my 51 sedan, pretty sure the tunnel curve is on the front of both seats. Have you tried turning the seat around?
  • Cushion is definitely slanted lower in back, higher in front.
    Seemed to fit well, until I disassembled interior about 3 months ago.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The side of the rear seat is supported by a wire frame that is attached to the top spring frame with metal pieces wrapped around the top spring support frame... it is also attached to the front frame in the same manner... it the front frame and the side are disconnected, the side folds up into the seat.... maybe this is the problem?
  • Glowplug said:
    The side of the rear seat is supported by a wire frame that is attached to the top spring frame with metal pieces wrapped around the top spring support frame... it is also attached to the front frame in the same manner... it the front frame and the side are disconnected, the side folds up into the seat.... maybe this is the problem?
    I'll check that out...it is the same on both sides though
  • REAR SEAT 1953

• Does not seem to be disconnected, looks like it is specifically fitted to have the lower front and corner and higher side. 
    Maybe the thought of it being from another model is more on target
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Here is a rear seat in my 53 sedan and a spare one.
  • Ken U-Tx said:
    That is a front seat cushion!

Absolutely right, thanks for waking me up Ken, and for everyone else trying!!

• I think I've reached the age where coffee doesn't help!
    Thanks for being here.