Hudson Hearse

Comments

• Atchelitz Threshermen's Association in Chilliwack BC Canada has a 1926 Hudson hearse.  It is in a controlled environment and has a Super 6 engine and a wooden body.  It weight 6000 pounds.

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Here's a NZ '28 Hudson hearse still being used
  • Lovely to see an old hearse still in action. Thanks for the photo of the new zealand beauty. Nice to see a pix of a car in a museum... However I feel they are kind of dead... Like looking at a steam engine in a park... Nice but dead... Cheers ken 
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    A piece of history. 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Now that's going down "the passing lane" in style!
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    The NZ hearse "still being used" as a hearse? ...or as a limousine or something?  It kind of looks like seats in the back.
    Oh that Canadian 26 woodwork!  I would have liked to see more. What the Threshermen's Association has there is basically a farming life museum.  If the hearse got out on the road again, I think it would be very popular to hire out for big money - probably need to be in a populated area of the U.S. where we are silly enough to pay big money for that kind of thing.  A fundraising opportunity for the museum? 
    Who would want to go in some modern Cadillac if they could go in that? 
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I know of several 'vintage' hearses of varying makes here in NZ but this is the only Hudson that I'm aware of. Perhaps it's a NZ thing to make your final trip in an interesting car. The 28 Hudson Hearse was specifically restored/built by a Funeral Director for his business.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    In Australia I know of a 1920H, two 1924H, and two 1927H hearses. Im sure there are more around. During the depression years a lot of cars were rebodied to become ambulances, fire engines and hearses - all essential vehicles. I also know of 2 Hudson vehicles that were rebodied in 1934. Last year a roundup of HET cars in South Australia visited my place and one of these rebodied hearses was present. Photos were sent to WTN. Do you want your last ride in a Ford or a Hudson.