1934 Hudson 8

I'm a trustee for an estate and need to sell 34 Hudson 8 coupe. It is all original but was painted in the 80,s Been sitting in the garage since. Very good, No rust 40K miles. I need approximate value. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Any chance you could post some pictures?
  • Boscoe
    Boscoe Member
    This is all I have so far
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    A few more from Boscoe, looks a very solid car

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I wish this one had been around before I bought mine - it looks like I'd have an awful lot less work to do on it than my '34 involved !
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It is definitely valuable.  Unless you are in a hurry to settle the estate, I would advise advertising it in old-car specific publications like Hemmings Motor News.  Also, you can work through any current member of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, to get the car listed in the Club magazine, the White Triangle News, published every other month.  This will cost you nothing to do, and it is targeted toward a core of Hudson enthusiasts worldwide.  I myself would not want to venture an asking price but when you are ready to post the car for sale, please give as many facts as possible.  For example, is there any rust on the body, or is it damaged in any way.  Does the car now run, or will the engine turn over at least?  Are there any "extras" like original type radio or heater, which would add to the car's value?  The more time you have to advertise this, the better chance you will get of getting a good price.
  • An add without a price is a good way to NOT make a sale, but will generate lots of phone calls. The only way to sell it without a price is an auction and take a good size percentage plus a listing fee. I never call on an add without a price because the price generates as much interest as the item.
  • It looks like a pretty nice car. I see the running board rubber has been replaced with something generic, and it has carpet on the front floorboards. A rubber mat would have been original equipment. Is that a radio dial in the center of the dash? It seems to be a well equipped car that has been restored sometime in it's past. I hope it finds a good home.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited June 2020
    If it’s been sitting 30-40 years I wouldn’t expect too much, mechanical items like cars don’t fair well sitting unused.  It will certainly have brake issues & after redoing every wheel cylinder, master cylinder lines, pads, hardware & hoses on one sitting around 20 years, it’s typical.   

The engine is it stuck?  It may very well be & those are just the beginnings as there could be more engine issues learning underneath, ultimately it could need a full rebuild, not cheap.  Can’t see the interior to even know if it’s eaten by mice or moths.   The body, are there pictures of it before being painted?  Paint can cover up a whole host of problems & rust.  

While it may look decent a serious buyer will know what can & typically goes wrong.  How much of a chance on repairs someone is willing to take & not lose money on may be the dominant factor.  I honestly could see it going for only $4-6k, just so many things one would have to be able to evaluate in person.  

I am executor of my recently passed father & his old car has been sitting for 12-15 years & it’s going to be lucky to be worth half what it was before it was parked.  It’s a difficult time, I hope you the best.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Where is it located?  State, City, There may be a member that can assist you in understanding the cars condition?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It has  mechanical brakes, so not so much of an issue.
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Tough times right now but the right person at right time could happen. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    I think Paul Butler will agree with me that if this car were for sale in the UK, you'd all be surprised how little it would be likely to fetch here. A very nicely restored 1935 Hudson Eight coupe ( I knew the deceased owner) sold at auction here a few months back for less than £15K if my memory serves me correctly.
    European asking prices for old American seem to be much higher than British asking prices for them. Here, old "Yanks" as they're known, have always been something of a minority interest - I don't know why because most 1930s American cars are miles ahead compared to the contemporary Austin and Morris offerings - but please don't tell the members of that Austin Seven club that lets me be an honorary member because they'll probably kill me for saying so !  :D
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    My '32 coupe was sitting for the better part of 2 decades. After all the proper engine re- awakening for the engine, including a full harness installation, the brakes still stopped straight and true, no adjustments needed!
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
  • AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited June 2020
    Oops - my mistake. Nice looking cars, both of them!
  • Old Fogey UK
    bob ward said:
    I'm guessing this is the 35 H8 that was auctioned? Nice looking car.
    https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2019-03-02/cars/ref-54-1935-hudson-deluxe-eight-rumble-seat-coupe/

Yes, that's the one Bob.
     I was a little bit out when remembering the amount it went for but I stick to my point that it was way below what it would have gone for in the US.
    It had been the subject of a very lengthy restoration by its deceased owner who was in the ROC. He helped me a lot with my '34.

• 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    The more solid and complete equals better sale but still not out of site In today’s market even if it’s a ford unless you get lucky.  
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    These numbers are about as useless as Covid-19 new cases numbers, but, as a starting point, Hemmings says 3 ads for various Hudson 8s in the past 2 years were asking from $12.5K to $43K (probably a convertible).  J.D. Power says "1934 Hudson Deluxe Prices and Values - 2 Door Coupe" from $6K to $14.5K.  I'd assume these prices were likely for running cars?  The 1930s Hudsons do not trade in the marketplace that much anymore, so hard to get comparable numbers.  
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Oops!  Those JD Power numbers probably less than useless; I see they gave the same numbers for 34 Terraplane coupe; I wouldn't sell mine for $14.5K (I've had it for 47 years, so not likely to sell it for $50K!).  There was a 34 Terraplane coupe being sold at auction in Reno in April (not fully restored) and as of APR 11th it was over $25K.  It's not a 34 Hudson 8 - I assume the 34H8 would be more valuable? - but gives you an idea.
  • Is this available for sale? 

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    location ?
  • Hell if it’s decent price as is I’m interested 
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited February 2022
    Hell if it’s decent price as is I’m interested 
    Look at the date it was posted  , nearly 18 months ago so in line with guidelines I'm closing this thread down. IF it's still for sale then the original poster (who hasn't been on this forum since July 2020) can re-post
This discussion has been closed.