Fuel Tank plug removal

kktreb
kktreb Member
Anyone know what tool will remove this fuel tank cleanout plug?  Mine is brass on the original 52 stepdown fuel tank - I don't seem to have a male "pipe plug socket set".

Thanks.
Kevin T.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    You maybe able to use a socket handle with a short extension placed in the hole and turn slowly.   In the past I have been able to use this method.  Watch carefully as you attempt the removal, the welds in a tank with rusty insides may tear loose from the tank metal.   Good Luck

• 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    On my 35 Terraplane I used a piece of 3/8" square key stock about 4" long that I had on hand.  Had to grind it down to 5/16".  Put a Cresent wrench on just below the plug and held onto the key that extended below the wrench.  
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I imagine you already did this but scrape the inside surfaces to make sure nothing is clogging it up.  
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    The tank is still installed in the car and luckily to date I haven't had a problem with the tank.  About 5-6 years ago when I rewired the car I'd removed the gas gauge and looked inside with a LED light and inspection mirror.  It appeared to be in good shape.  I hadn't driven the car much in the last 2-3 years as I had a lot of other things going on.  Decided it would be good to drain out the old fuel.  I'd put about 4 gallons of non ethanol along with Stabil in it before winter about 3 years ago.  I ran the fuel through a coffee filter to check for particulates but didn't see any. I removed the NAPA inline filter that's installed just before the pump.  Drained that out and did see some very fine stuff.  A friend suggested I blow a little air back thru the line toward the tank.  Had my wife listen at the filler neck which was not necessary as I could hear it from the front of the car.  Wife did complain that the gas smell was very strong.  I would have preferred to blow out the line from the tank toward the front but was nervous about disconnecting the flare nut from the pickup tube.  I sent the pump off for a rebuild and may do the same with the carb.   I did reinstall the plug and put 5 gallons of fresh non ethanol back in the tank.  As always I've had something else get in the way and it may be a month or more before I get back to it. Used Permatex non hardening aviation sealant on the plug.
  • kktreb
    kktreb Member
    Ken U-Tx said:
    Why don't you just buy a new STEPDOWN tank? That old tank will be bad news when the sealer comes loose or the internal baffles disintegrate from the rust. 
    I hear you, Ken.  I am thinking about it versus sealing the original tank.  There is a bit of a price difference in a new tank and sealing.

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Someone I know with a 53 Hornet told me there was a fuel drip from the tank, looked like it was coming from the drain plug.
    No problem says I, I have a square drive to fit those plugs, I can sort that for you.
    So I unscrewed the plug, and along with the plug came the threaded fitting and a bit of the tank.
    This was on a tank that had been sealed.

On my own 53 Hornet it turned out that a previous owner had sealed the inside of the tank, I discovered that when fuel filters started to block with disintegrating liner. 

If the choice is between buying a brand new tank vs sealing a 70 year old tank, to me the new tank wins every time even at a hefty premium to the reseal.

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Try to heed the advice given, liners will fail & one week ago I found mine, done by Gas Tank Renu had failed.  This was done by one of their licensed dealers which had a lifetime warranty.  Well it did until I tried to use the warranty and the company wouldn’t uphold their warranty.  Now the $300 I had spend over 10 years ago was a waste of money.

Don't make the mistake I & so many others have done.  Spend the money & buy a new tank!

This is the company who’s product failed me & wouldn’t uphold their lifetime warranty...

• Gas Tank Renu has been around a long time and are only as good as the local franchisee.  It’s embarrassing to admit, but I have been burned twice by them (different franchises) Many years ago and never again!

I took a ‘47 Hudson pickup tank to one of them and they did what they said they would — cut big sections out of the top, blast it all inside nice and clean, weld new sections in and re-coat the inside.  What they didn’t do was consider that the Hudson fuel pickup tube is down inside that fine wire mesh “well” and their sealant filled up the well and completely plugged up the pickup tube. What a mess! Didn’t discover any of this until after the tank was hung back on the truck and tried to get gas out of it.

I am ready for a new tank for this truck if anyone is making them.

On another occasion a different franchise sent my  repaired ‘36 Cord gas tank to Washington state (I was in Missouri at the time) and sent me a tank from a LaSalle.  Eventually I got my Cord tank back and I assume the LaSalle owner got his tank, but this was pre-internet days and even then it was tough finding Cord parts so there was a lot of apprehension for a while

Tom
  • I found a piece of tool steel in my lathe tool drawer 5/16" square I think it was and exact fit for the plug ,put long adjustable wrench on it and comes right out.
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    I did the same thing but sacrificed an old 3/8 socket.

• I restored about twenty tanks while workingw the late Jim Harmon. I used a dogbone. Key is to use a real sharp pick to clean as much as you can, and use deepcreep to set a long time....be very very patient.