Replacing rear springs...

I am replacing the rear spring in my 49 Super, I have read in the manual:

"Finish tightening the rear shackle nut.
It is important that the shackle be located properly so as to insure the bushing being threaded far enough on the shackle but not far enough to bottom the thread in the bushing as the shackle moves in its normal operation. Bottoming will cause a hard ride and shackle breakage."

Has anyone done this? Could someone tell me how to know when the shackle is threaded far enough? Should both sides be tightened the same amount? If not bottoming, then how much? Is there some way to gauge it?
Thanks

Comments

• TTT....??
  • Ken U-Tx said:
    YES, i have a tool for spacing the bushing out properly.
     where can i get one?
  • How complicated is the tool, is it something I could make?
    Thanks
  • I had disconnected the upper shackle, never the lower.
    Was hoping for a formula like tighten shackle untill it bottoms out and then back off so much.....
    I guess I'm more of a visual learner and need a photo or diagram to understand the tool and it's usage.
    Thanks

Any simpler solutions? I can't imagine I'm the only Hudson owner who has taken off a shackle....?
  • I can't believe there are over 200 views yet no one seems to have a solution to easily installing these shackles.....aside from Ken U-Tx, am I the only person to attempt this??
  • I replaced a broken shackle on my Hudson pickup as a teenager back in the 70's. I didn't have any special tools. Ignorance is bliss? It was broken, and I replaced it. I'm sure I looked at the other side and tried to make it look the same... I can't contradict what Ken is telling you. I'm pretty sure no one else can either. I'm sure the vast majority of Hudson owners have never addressed spring shackles, and Ken obviously has. If I see someone getting good advise here, I don't see a need to throw in my two cents and possibly confuse the issue.
  • Would it be simpler to replace the U-Shackles with this type?
  • I think the hot rod type guys look at factory Hudson shackles as half a shackle, and replace them without a second thought, with something like that. I can't see any reason not to use a two strap shackle, if everything is sized properly..... I'm sure someone will jump in here and tell my why I'm wrong...
  • Thanks 54coupe, ordered new Silent U Shackle from rareparts.com. Technician says that when its tightened it will still have plenty of room for grease. Perhaps their version has eliminated the need for a special tool.
  • Good luck. I hope it works out well.
  • Just my luck.....rare parts is out of stock and will not have for 60 days.
    Does anyone know of another supplier? Or a specific two strap shackle?
    Thanks
  • Call Jason at 909 823 9168. I would not be surprised if he had new ones.
  • airbrushguy
    airbrushguy Member
    edited June 2020
    Just thinking out loud....the passenger side shackle is right hand drive, the driver side is left hand drive....are they interchangeable?  I need the driver side, I can get a right side shackle but not a left side .....
  • They are not interchangeable.
  • 54coupe said:
    They are not interchangeable.
    thank you

• Thanks Ken, ordered from FCRC
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Re the OP, fitting the shackles and bushes.
    First up, a correct installation always has the bush done up tight against the housing or spring eye. 
    When the shackle end is flush with the spring eye there should be 1/4" clearance between the end of the shackle and the inside end of the bush.
    You need to aim to set up the shackle so you have between 1/4" and 1/8" clearance, always check through the grease nipple hole that you have achieved this.
    This is where you need the spacing tool, home made low-tech works fine. It can be made from a piece of steel, aluminium, plywood, plastic no more than 1/4" thick and 2 or 3 inches long, cut, filed, sawn, ground to the right width. 
    How to find the width that you need (typically 5/8" to 3/4" but could be more or less) is shown in the sketch. 
    Put the spring through the eye up against the spacer and install the bush from the other end. The bush threads onto the shackle first and then enters the spring or housing, keep the pressure on the spacer until the bush is threading into the spring/housing.
    Check your clearance through the grease nipple hole, adjust the width of the spacer as required to get the clearance you want.

• allan
    allan Member
    I have to replace rear springs on 2 of my pre step-down cars. 
    a you tube video would be an ideal tool for those of us who need a show and tell, otherwise we will certainly screw it up!

allan
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I'm speechless.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Bob, a section of Murphy's law is "If something is written so plainly that nobody can misunderstand, somebody will".