Using Hornet Gas Tank for 46 Pickup

I need to replace my fuel tank in my pickup and am trying to decide which route to take. I know of some universal options that would fit nicely. They are smaller like the original tanks from the pickups. One thought I was wondering about was using a tank from a Hornet. I would appreciate the more authentic look as well as the larger fuel capacity.

The issue I am aware of is it will not fit in between the cross members of the bed. I believe it is about an inch wider than the pickup tank. The other issue I am wondering about is the bottom clearance from the pumpkin.

I am going to be repairing a lot of my pickup bed, including the cross sill that would cause the issue. My question is if I move that cross sill that is too tight forward an inch so the tank firs, would that cause any issues? And is the clearance between the tank and pumpkin going to be a problem?

Would it be better to move the front cross sill forward, or the rear one back just an inch to fit the Hornet tank? Either or look like an option. The rear one might make more sense as it would buy more clearance for the tank from the pumpkin. I could also split the difference. Or is this just a bad idea? I figured since I will be replacing most of that, it wouldn't be a big deal to adjust it in the process.

Has anyone done something like this or used a Hornet tank? What are your thoughts and what approach would you take?

Comments

• I’ve read here Years back of a 2nd gen Camero tank working with minimal mods. 
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Www. Tanks inc. Com. I used this company i bought a universal tank in my 1940 truck it worked out fine
  • One of the universal tanks at tanksinc.com is my other option. I've talked with a couple of folks that have had good success with them.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    If you start moving those cross beams around you will run into problems when installing the bed.  The bed strips will most likely come pre-punched for mounting holes.  A 5/16" square hole for a carriage bolt.  So if you move those beams, you will need to fill and move the bed mounting holes in the side flange of the bed too, as well as have custom bed strips (the metal part) punched for that truck.  ...I wouldn't move the location of those beams.
  • Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a bad idea. So I won't be moving those sills after all :D . Thanks for pointing out the things that hadn't crossed my mind when thinking through that!

I do have the original tank, but it is really rough, may see if Gas Tank Renu can work some magic on it. If that doesn't work I will use a universal tank.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    DON’T DO TANK RENU!!!  Just like Ken said their product will fail & they don’t stand behind their warranty!  I spoke to them this week as my tank was failing from their service & they didn’t give a rats ass & flat out wouldn’t honor their “Lifetime Warranty!  I’m the one who purchased their service & have paperwork to prove it, they don’t care & the guy “Dan” at their corporate office could not have been a bigger jerk if he tried!  

This is what I found last weekend, my tank liner from Tank Renu cracked & coming off!   There was even chunks of solder lift inside the tank.  

There are a couple of us who have been working hard on finding an existing tank option & so far we are leaning towards this tank.  1) There are no seams to cause issues with original tank straps, 2) the size is really close to original (at least for my 37, 3) the pickup & sending units are recessed,  4) they have a block off kit for the fill hole, so one can cut their hole where they need it,  5) it’s a stocked ready to ship item & 6) it even comes in stainless!   Cost is $225, there’s also an option for fuel injecton setup inside the tank & they have necks, rubber & straps to connect it all together!

• Thanks for the heads up with them. It looks like I'd be better off going with the universal tank. Chris Rivas pointed me to the tank Ken linked to as well.

I don't know what it is about me, I guess I like to do things the hard way, ha. Guess it's how I learn. Thanks again, everyone!